[dehai-news] Mareeg.com: Conference: Ethiopia,s web of obstruction to Somalia,s Statehood

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 00:36:23 +0200

Conference: Ethiopia,s web of obstruction to Somalia,s Statehood

07/07/2012

  _____

Jubbaland Conference: Ethiopia’s web of obstruction to Somalia’s Statehood
Jubbaland State Conference held in Nairobi Kenya on June 28-30, 2012 is part
of the overall web of obstruction strategy unfailingly pursued by Ethiopia
to prevent any chance for the rebirth of Somali State accountable to its
people in the foreseeable future. The strategy is operationalized through
multiple fronts, e.g., the misuse of UN Secuirty Council rule- “the
Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) decides to actively
remain seized of the matter of Somalia”, which means Somalia remains under
IGAD’s jurisdiction, execution of counter-productive reconciliation
initiatives, military occupation, creation of multiple armed factions,
imposition of clan-based federalism for establishing local dependent
clienteles, promotion of unscrupulous personalities for leadership and
marginalization of responsible leaders, hyping up of international threats
emanating from Somalia by conducting biased diplomatic campaigns. The
immediate reasons behind this ad hoc conference could be three. First,
Ethiopia strives to make the overwhelmingly rejected sub-clan-based
federalism as fait accompli after the United Nations declared unseen Draft
Constitution as a Provisional Federal Constitution (PFC) on June 22, 2012.
The expected voting of the Traditional Leaders (TLs) and the National
Constituent Assembly (NCA) on the PFC is inconsequential. Second, Ethiopia
wants to strengthen its grips on Somalia’s political dispensation and to
thwart all efforts for Somali Unity spearheaded by few international actors.
Parenthetically, with regard to Somali Unity, the extraordinary message of
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Somalia’s National Day July 1
to the people of Somalia raises a glimmer of hope. Third, Ethiopia wants to
deepen clan antagonisms among Somalis as a source for long term political
destabilization. Somali groups, IGAD/AU/UN, and Puntland Government issued
separate communiqués highlighting certain aspects of the outcome of the
conference. The reading of below reported IGAD/AU/UN communiqué is important
because it reveals specific information. Jubbaland State is becoming a
reality with this foundation now being adhered to by the International
Community, Regional States, and the main groups involved. The Communiqué
from the conference prepared and hosted by IGAD and the AU with support from
the UN was signed by the 5 important groups representing the State. 1. TFG
represented by the Deputy Minister Dr. Abdi Ali Hassan (Marehan/Uurmidig) 2.
Gedo Defense Forces represented by Gen Abdullahi Sheikh Ismail “Fartag”
(Marehan/Reer Ugaas Sharmarke) 3. Azania represented by Prof Mohamed Abdi
Mohamed “Ghandi” (Ogaden/Talomoge) 4. Ras Kambooni represented by Macalim
Mohamed Ibrahim (Ogaden/Mohamed Suber) 5. Ahlu Sunna Wal Jamee represented
by Sheikh Mohamed Yusuf Mohamud “Aw Libaax” (Marehan/Celi) The foundations
agreed to is thus: v Jubbaland State is to be a regional federal state under
the Federal Constitution of Somalia v Jubbaland State is to be formed by the
merger of Gedo, Lower Jubba, and Middle Jubba Regions. v Jubbaland State
representation will be based on current state and district partition v
Jubbaland state will have three branches of state government: Executive,
Legislative and Judicial v Jubbaland State will united differing militias as
unitary state security. v Jubbaland State will be democratic and respects
the rights of minorities. v Jubbaland state will be based on Sharia law. The
groups will now have subsequent meetings and interactions to work out the
attainment of this plan. Three observations are in order. (a) In accordance
with the Transitional Federal Charter (TFC) or Provisional Federal
Constitution (PFC), the merger of regions and districts is subject to
popular referendum certified by legitimate National Government and it is not
the prerogative of five individuals representing factions. (b) The
participation of TFG is immaterial because the Roadmap suspended the TFC,
dismantled the internationally recognized TFG and empowered clan entities
-Puntland, Galmudug and Ahlu Sunna Wal Jama (Mogadishu Faction). (c) The
creation of Jubbaland State under the PFC and under Sharia Law will breed
political turmoil and defeat the formation of Somali State. The communiqué
(agreement) of Somali participants states that Jubbaland State will live in
peace with its neighbor countries and with other regions of Somalia. Also,
it requires that the Jubbaland State should be established before the ending
of the transitional federal period scheduled on August 20, 212 and that the
process for establishing the Jubbaland State must be in conformity with the
stabilization plan of IGAD and TFG, titled “Draft IGAD Strategy on managing
the territories liberated areas in Somalia.” The plan allows IGAD to manage
the territory, people and politics of the three regions with a strategy and
tactics based on clan allegiance to its desired outcome. With no
explanation, representative of Harti group did not sign the final
Communiqué. In a radio interview, a spokesman of the conference said that a
Harti group led by Gen. Mohamed Warsame Darwish, former Chief of the Somali
National Security Service (NSS) during President Abdullahi Yusuf’s
government participated the conference. The Puntland Government welcomed the
establishment of Jubbaland State with mix feelings-suspicion and support. It
is not clear how the five groups planned to address the complications the
agreement generates within various communities in the regions. Influential
leaders from the five groups have already voiced their objection to the
agreement. The Wagosha Community (Somali Bantu) expressed their strongest
objection against the Jubbaland State. The history and sub clan composition
of the Jubbaland population is different from the close kinship existing in
Puntland State although all Somali communities (clans) proudly share
territory, religion, language, citizenship, solidarity, and common
aspirations. As part of their tradition and culture, Somalis do not consider
and classify certain groups or individuals as “minorities” It is my personal
view that Somalis are aware of clan distinctions, injustices and economic
disparity but they generally disapprove minority status classification.
Under the impracticable Federalism, there will be indefinite kinds of
minorities in each village, district, and region of Somalia. In parallel to
IGAD’s mismanagement of Somalia, the international community is less
concerned about what works and is best for the Somali people. The
international community is delighted to spend resources and efforts on
initiatives or experiments of their preference with the liberty to blame the
Somalis for failures and for not grasping the “golden opportunities” offered
to them. Jubbaland State is another spurious enterprise undertaken to abuse
and confuse the exhausted people of Somalia. Will the Somali Elite be able
to regain audacity, wisdom, stamina and sense of duty needed to challenge
the current debilitating approach and steer Somalia to the right direction
for the common good? Time will tell.

Mr. Mohamud M Uluso mohamuduluso_at_gmail.com