[dehai-news] Garoweonline.com: Somalia: Final Communiqué of the International Contact Group on Somalia Meeting in Rome

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 16:16:54 +0200

Somalia: Final Communiqué of the International Contact Group on Somalia
Meeting in Rome
Jul 4, 2012 - 1:01:02 AM

International Contact Group on Somalia

2-3 July 2012, Rome

Final Communiqué

The 22nd meeting of the International Contact Group (ICG) on Somalia was
held from 2-3 July 2012 in Rome under the chairmanship of the United Nations
Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Somalia, Dr Augustine Mahiga,
together with the ICG Co-chairs (Norway and the USA). The Italian Foreign
Minister, Giulio Terzi, Speaker Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden of the
Transitional Federal Parliament of the Republic of Somalia, Prime Minister
Dr Abdiweli Mohamed Ali of the Transitional Federal Government of the
Republic of Somalia and representatives of Puntland, Galmudug and Ahlu Sunna
Wal Jama’a addressed the meeting.

Political Process

The ICG reviewed progress on the political track, and reiterated its firm
determination that the Transition ends on 20 August 2012 in accordance with
the Transitional Federal Charter, Djibouti Agreement, Kampala Accord,
Roadmap and subsequent consultative meetings. In particular, the ICG
welcomed agreement among the Principals at their meeting in Nairobi on 22
June on a final draft Constitution. This will now go to the National
Constituent Assembly for provisional adoption.

The ICG expressed concern over repeatedly missed deadlines and urged the
Somali stakeholders to adhere to the latest timelines, including for the
opening (12 July) and closing (20 July) of the National Constituent
Assembly, selection (15 July) and induction (20 July) of the new Federal
Parliament, and election of the Speaker/Deputies (4 August) and President
(20 August). The ICG called for the immediate activation of the Elders’
Arbitration Committee, Roadmap Signatories Coordination Office, Technical
Facilitation Committee and Technical Selection Committee and for the
earliest possible conclusion of the selection process. With regard to the
Federal Parliament, the Group welcomed the need for the new body to meet
Somali people’s expectations, especially in terms of the quality and
commitment of its Members, gender balance, more effective working practices
and ability to hold the executive arm of government to account. A joint
legislative workplan should be developed between the new Parliament and
Government, including with a view to strengthening the legislative framework
for the promotion and protection of human rights and transitional justice.

The ICG noted the joint UN/AU/IGAD open letter of 1 May, warning all
would-be spoilers that anyone obstructing the peace process would be
referred to the IGAD Council of Ministers and possibly also to the UN
Monitoring Group with a view to the imposition of sanctions.

The ICG noted progress in many areas of the Roadmap, and called for the
remaining tasks to be completed on time. For the time being, the focus is
rightly on ending the Transition on schedule. But the Group invited the next
Government of Somalia within sixty days of its formation to set out its
priorities and associated resource requirements with a view to securing
international support. As a first step, the Group agreed to hold a
preliminary, high-level discussion on emerging priorities in the margins of
the United Nations General Assembly in September.

The ICG condemned the recent violent attack against places of worship in
Kenya and the kidnapping of aid workers. The Group offered to assist in
building support inside Somalia for respect for all human rights and the
rule of law.

Security

The ICG commended recent further military advances by the African Union
Mission in Somalia, TFG forces and their allies including Ethiopia in
response to continuing aggression by Al Shabaab, and paid tribute to AMISOM
troop contributing countries and Somali security forces. The Group
reiterated its condolences and support to the families of all those who have
lost their lives in the fighting. While acknowledging the improvement by
AMISOM in the protection of civilians, the Group called upon all actors to
ensure protection of civilians with particular attention to women and
children. The Group also called for unimpeded access to humanitarian
assistance by all persons in need.

During the course of the meeting, the ICG witnessed the signature by Hussein
Arab Isse (Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence of the TFG) and Dr
Augustine Mahiga (Special Representative of the United Nations
Secretary-General for Somalia) of a Plan of Action on Children Associated
with Armed Forces.

The ICG welcomed the adoption of UN Security Council Resolution 2036, which
expanded the operations and support package for AMISOM and raised its troop
ceiling. The Group welcomed the new uniformed personnel from Djibouti,
Kenya, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. The Group also welcomed TFG efforts to
unify Somali forces under national command and control. The Group
acknowledged the pressing need for more and better coordinated international
assistance for both AMISOM and Somali security forces, especially from new
donors. The Group also urged the TFG with support from the United Nations
and AMISOM to put in place quickly arrangements for reintegrating former
combatants and supporting their dependants as a prelude to full-scale
demobilisation, disarmament and reintegration. At the same time, the Group
called upon Al Shabaab and all other armed opposition groups constituting
terrorist threats to renounce violence and to embrace the peace process.

Over the next few years, Somalia will need to take increased responsibility
for its own security including through budgeting and paying for salaries.
The ICG called on the Somali authorities to expedite the development of
Somali security forces.

The President of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia
reported on recent developments. The ICG recalled the Final Statement of the
Dubai Second High Level Public-Private Counter Piracy Conference held on 28
June, which inter alia called for the development of regional and national
maritime capacity and for participants to respect relevant international law
related to fighting piracy in international waters.

Stabilisation

As large parts of south and central Somalia come under the control of the
Government, there is a need to provide urgent and substantive support for
stabilisation and the development of effective regional, district and local
administrations through democratic and popular participation to prevent a
power vacuum. This support must continue beyond the Transition. The ICG
welcomed the ongoing development by the TFG of a strategy for Reconciliation
and Stabilisation, and agreed that it should form the basis of the framework
for international coordination. It agreed that partners should better
coordinate with the Government their activities in the newly-recovered areas
as well as in Mogadishu. The ICG recognised that both national and
international partners needed to increase and align their efforts to
strengthen credible and legitimate local administrations. The Group also
discussed an Italian document on District-Based Peace-Building, which could
provide a source of inspiration for future programmes. It noted the
importance of restoring dispute resolution mechanisms and promoting local
and national reconciliation, including through dialogue, within the
framework of stabilisation.

The Group acknowledged the progress made by the regional administrations
especially in security and governance, including in Somaliland, Puntland and
Galmudug and territories under the administration of Ahlu Sunna Wal Jama’a.
These efforts should continue to be encouraged and supported.

Justice

The ICG also agreed on the need to support the comprehensive development of
the independent justice sector in Somalia, in particular by increasing
support for access to justice for women and vulnerable groups in addition to
gender responsive policing, justice and corrections throughout the country
based on both formal and informal systems of justice, adherence to
international standards for justice and human rights (including in the fight
against terrorism) and dialogue throughout the process with Somali civil
society. It also agreed to support the re-establishment of justice and rule
of law services in the newly-recovered areas.

International Coordination

The ICG welcomed the outcome of three major conferences which have taken
place since its last meeting in February. The first, in London, gave fresh
impetus to the political process, increased support for AMISOM and Somali
security forces, and reinvigorated efforts to tackle piracy and terrorism. A
Mutual Accountability Board, which should help to improve mutual financial
transparency and mutual accountability and to combat corruption, now needs
to be discussed among all relevant Somali and international stakeholders.
The second, in Istanbul, usefully underscored the importance of
reconciliation, institution-building and reconstruction. In particular, the
conference highlighted the need for large-scale multi-year funding for
infrastructure projects, state-building and uninterrupted delivery of basic
services and welcomed the establishment of a multi-donor trust fund for
post-Transition financing. The third, in Dubai, will help to improve the
coordination of our collective efforts to eradicate piracy by means of a
comprehensive approach on land as well as at sea, including
capacity-building.

In anticipation of the end of the Transition and in order to make our
collective efforts in support of Somalia even more effective, the ICG agreed
further to explore a number of improvements to its working methods,
including the possible establishment of an inter-sessional working group
covering the Political Process and strengthened links with existing bodies
dealing with Development, Justice and Security.

The International Contact Group thanked the Government of the Republic of
Italy for hosting this meeting, and welcomed an offer from South Africa to
host the next meeting in early 2013.

Participants/observers

African Union, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, China, Denmark, Djibouti, East
African Community, Egypt, Ethiopia, European Union, Finland, France,
Germany, Intergovernmental Authority on Development, International
Development Law Organisation, Islamic Development Bank, Italy, Japan, Kenya,
Korea (Republic), League of Arab States, Netherlands, North Atlantic Treaty
Organisation, Norway, Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, Qatar, Saudi
Arabia, Somalia (TFG, TFP, Puntland, Galmudug, Ahlu Sunna Wal Jama’a), South
Arica, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Uganda, United Arab
Emirates, United Kingdom, United Nations, United States of America and the
World Bank.

THE END