[dehai-news] Eritrea's Most Patriotic Month

From: Bereket Kidane <welela83_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 05:09:20 -0700 (PDT)

The 30-day period starting with the run-up to Independence Day on May 24 to Martyrs Day on June 20 is Eritrea's most patriotic month. The atmosphere inside and outside of Eritrea can be summed-up as that of patriotism, pride in the Eritrean State and an increased determination to honor our martyrs' trust.

It begins with unabashed flag-waving, partying, dancing and carnivals during Independence week in celebration of Eritrea's birthday and ends with somberness in rememberance of Eritrea's fallen heroes in June. There is a noticeable mood swing during the 30-day period.

During this commemorative and celebratory month, Eri-TV's schedule is sprinkled with documentaries of the armed struggle and live-transmitted ceremonies. The testimonials from the families and fellow tegadeltis of the fallen heroes often make you reach for your handkerchief. I recently learned that there is an Eritrean mother in Keren with four martyred kids. Four!  When you hear stories like that, it makes you want to double and triple your determination to honor the martyrs trust (hidri).

The anti-Eritrea forces go haywire at the sight of Eritrean unity and collective spirit during this special month. They start spewing all sorts of nonsense. But to Eritreans at home and abroad, the entire month is a special time. It is a time when we celebrate Eritrea while reminding ourselves of the sacrifices that went into creating the Eritrean State and the covenant we have made with the fallen heroes and their families.