[dehai-news] (Community) INDEPENDENCE DAY 2012 IN SEATTLE

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:37:33 -0400

INDEPENDENCE DAY 2012 IN SEATTLE

It was an electrifying moment to witness a new generation of Eritreans
take the lead in organizing and presenting this year’s Independence
Day celebration. For the past 20 years, Eritreans in Seattle
celebrated Independence Day with rich cultural festivities. This year,
there was a new and invigorating twist that gave a refreshed hope to
the community. Young Eritrean adults committed to the task of
continuing tradition by joining the Celebration Planning Committee,
took the task to its higher heights. Most notably, these young leaders
were instrumental in connecting the Eritrean Community with the
Mayor’s office, which resulted in the proclamation of May 24, 2012, as
Eritrea’s Independence Day in Seattle.

This of course is a huge accomplishment in the history of our Eritrean
community. The proclamation signifies the recognition and respect for
our people as part of and contributors to this city. It also, I
believe, rekindled a new sense of identity and pride in many Eritrean
youth, and touched the hearts and souls of many Eritrean adults and
seniors. For many, it was a sigh of relief (TEMESGEN) to see our own
children ready to take over.

I was also encouraged by the other ways many talented young Eritreans
contributed to the success of this year’s Celebration. The beautiful
banners on the walls of the halls, the DJ at the park, the MCs of the
program, and our precious Seattle Eritrean Dance Group, to name a few.

Local Eritrean businesses and organizations were also invited to
introduce their specialties by participating as vendors. Those who did
not participate in this way became sponsors of the event by donating
money. During the evening festivities, the Seattle-based Selam Band
kept the dance floor packed with their music. All seemed to work out
beautifully as planned.

We, as Eritrean adults, have tried to do many good things for
ourselves and for our people. In the process, we have also made many
mistakes. As a result, instead of moving forward with full speed, we
either remained stagnant or took many steps backward. I believe the
moment has come for us to let our children claim the responsibility
and carry on the tasks we started to the finish. They are our hope for
now and the future. We must listen to them and support them in any way
possible.

To those who organized this outstanding event, I salute you for a job
well done. To those who participated in the success of the
celebration, I commend you for your willingness to share your talents,
time, energy and money. The Eritrean community’s seniors and elders,
send their blessings to the new generation for a better and brighter
future. TEMESGEN!

Lette Hadgu