[dehai-news] Reports / Video: Martyrs Day Commemorated in London UK 20/06/2012

From: Yared Tesfay <ytmn2_at_yahoo.co.uk_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 02:57:18 +0100 (BST)

Eritrean nationals in London UKcommemorate Martyrs Day
EPCC Information & CommunicationWednesday 20 June 2012
London's, over 2700 Eritreans came together to participate in the Martyrs Day activities organized by the Eritrean Public Campaign Committee. The activities included speeches, poetry, reading and speeches.
Present at the London commemoration were H.E. Tesfamicael Gerahtu, Eritrea's Ambassador to the United kingdom and Ireland, Embassy staff, religious leaders and invited guests.
The program began with a moment of silence in memory of all those who sacrificed their lives for Eritrea's liberty and sovereignty.  Speaking on the occasion, Vice-chairman of the Eritrean Public Campaign Committee (EPCC), Mr.Beyene Hagos, pointed out that the people and Government of Eritrea are doing their level best to honor the trust of martyrs. He further commended the contribution made by Eritrean citizens in the aforementioned countries and called on them to enhance it.
Ambassador Tesfamicael Gerhatu, in his address to the gathered Londoners remind all that it was the responsibility of each and every Eritrean to support the families of those that were martyred to liberate Eritrea, and also the families of those who were martyred defending Eritrea.
He stated that the prevailing peace and stability in the country is the outcome of the heavy sacrifices paid, and stressed that every citizen is duty-bound to assist children and families of martyrs. Ambassador Tesfamicael welcomed Eritrean's to participate in the development of Eritrea.
Member of SMF (Sponsor a Martyrs Family) committee, Yonthan Oqbamichael, went on to say that Martyrs Day is an event in which Eritrean people commemorate fallen heroes with pride and dignity, and that supporting martyrs families is the responsibility of the general public.
Following that, Ambassador Tesfamicael Gerahtu, religious leaders and representatives, all took part in lighting candles in memory of those that were martyred for the good of Eritrea's future.
Songs, Poetry were presented by Eritrean artists from London and by Geez children choir group. SMF (Sponsor a Martyrs Family) committee took this opportunity to give the participants the forms needed to Sponsor a Martyrs Family. The participation of the youth made it an even more memorable day.
Hence, our task is to remember our martyrs not only by lighting candles and planting trees, and making pledges, but above all , by honoring their trust; that of rebuilding the country for whose freedom they paid with their lives.
The day program ended with singing of the Eritrean National Anthem by Geez children choir group.
Video: Martyrs Day Commemorated in London UK 20/06/2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7mC24QANE&feature=youtu.be

EPCCInformation & CommunicationLondon UK