[dehai-news] Eritreans Roam Pennsylvania Ave and Celebrate 21 Years of Independence

From: <awetnayu_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:04:27 -0600

Eritreans Roam Pennsylvania Ave and Celebrate 21 Years of
Independence

Amanuel Biedemariam

On May 23rd,
President Isaias Afwerki, along with President Omer Hassan Al Bashir of Sudan
walked for more than a mile in Godena Harnet. They walked greeting the
thousands celebrating Eritrea’s 21st Independence in the streets of Asmara at
night, turning a spirited celebration into frenzy. That was the kickoff to
Eritrea’s Independence weekend. It was also a message to the whole world that
Eritrea is unlike the picture they like to paint it. It is a peaceful country,
with a president embraced and protected by his people free to walk with another
leader in the streets, at night. It was a start to a purpose-filled
celebrations-week for Eritreans around the world.

In 2008, the late
Congressman Donald Payne of NJ, a good friend of Africa and a man of peace;
campaigned the Eritrean community in the Metropolitan DC area on behalf of the
then candidate Senator Obama. Congressman Payne told Eritreans that candidate
Obama will be good for peace, justice and, promised Obama will take a new
direction to restore America’s name globally. He told Eritreans Obama will work
to implement the EEBC decision. Unfortunately, President Obama continued the flawed
US policies to the disappointment of Eritreans and certainly Congressman Payne.

In Washington DC,
Eritreans gathered early on May 25, 2012, in front of the Whitehouse Lafayette
Park to demonstrate against the flawed US policies and the UNjust illegal
Sanctions against the people of Eritrea that Washington thought, campaigned for
and implemented. They gathered to express their unhappiness with President
Obama’s broken promise of change. Most importantly however, Eritreans gathered
to show that they are one with their people and their president at home and, to
express their unity.

Eritreans carried many
signs with different messages that addressed their concerns and feelings. The
demonstrators chanted loudly, “Obama, where is the change?” They roared
demanding justice and end to the illegal sanctions. Thousands of school age
kids touring Washington were exposed to young Eritrean-Americans leading their
people, handing flyers and educating Americans about Eritrea. From the
Whitehouse, the thousands of Eritrean-Americans then headed towards the US
Capitol in an orderly fashion.

Pennsylvania Avenue is
one of the most significant streets in the world. It is a spot where Martin
Luther King Jr. gathered his followers on Freedom Plaza before taking them to
Lincoln Memorial where he gave the famous “I Have a Dream” speech. Pennsylvania
Avenue is also known as Inaugural Route because after every inauguration,
American Presidents walk on Pennsylvania Avenue greeting their supporters. It
is by far one of the most surreal, beautiful and historic streets in the US.

On Friday May 25,
Pennsylvania Avenue belonged to Eritreans. Eritreans managed to block the
entire stretch starting from 15th and Pennsylvania to the
Capitol in one of the busiest Memorial Day holiday weekend. It was magnificent
to witness disciplined Eritreans march adorned with Eritrean flags that
beautified the US Capital. They marched chanting the slogans they carried with
“Justice” as the main theme defiantly in the true Eritrean spirit. However, the
exuberance and the spirit exhibited by the mothers; the energy the youth
brought to the street while leading their parents was historic.

That spirit was carried
to the Capitol grounds where all the demonstrators gathered. That is where
10-year-old Saron Yohannes, a daughter of a martyr, read a poem telling us all
that we are family. Many made inspiring comments and poems. And after all the
walking and standing, the crowd was still seeking for more, then the
organizers played patriotic music and the crowd danced with renewed energy and
lingered as if looking for more. Eventually the crowd dispersed after
remembering the martyrs. The scorching heat was no match for the Eritrean
spirit.

The next day Saturday
May 26th Eritreans gathered in huge numbers for annual picnic
in Fort Hunt Park. It is uplifting to see kids huddled in groups laughing and
enjoying hot dogs and burgers while their parents sat in tents and under shades
adorned with Eritrean flags. It is gratifying to see the love Eritreans display
and, their desire to want to spent time with each other as Sarron Yohannes
Said, as one family. They stayed until sunset when darkness dispersed them one
more time.

The next day, Sunday May
27, thousands of Eritreans gathered in Convention Center DC to celebrate
Independence Day in grand style. The hall that embraced the celebrations is
massive. However, it looked small relative to the people that gathered to
celebrate.

During Eritrean
festivities, there is consistent pattern that has become tradition which is a
reflection of Eritrea people. It is symbolic, yet a reflection of Eritrean
values to see Eritreans young and old dressed in traditional outfits that
represent the nine ethnic groups of Eritrea as they walk into the stage to open
the festivities. They dance slowly with Eritrea represented by a lady adorned
with Eritrean flag leading the way followed by her children dressed with
beautiful Eritrean flag-colors. Central to all this is the presence of
Eritreans dressed in a way that remembers the fallen heroes by dressing like
Eritrean independence fighters. What is more startling is the fact that those
that put-on the outfits are a product of the struggle and have personally felt
the impact of the struggles for decades.

Eritrean celebrations
are real and they mean a great deal to those that celebrate it. When one looks
at those who walked to open the celebrations, here is Ghenet a widow of the
recent Weyane instigated war of aggression, with her thirteen your old daughter
in the lineup dressed as a fighter as Tegadalit (fighter) hoisting Eritrean
flags as they led the dancers into the stage to open the
celebrations.

Eritreans are used to
celebrating victories after a hard won battle and sacrifices with dances and
music. That tradition serves Eritreans well by helping them rejoice their
victories, coping with loses and, to reset in order to tackle the challenges
ahead. That was true for all the battles Eritreans fought. The celebrations
that took place in DC could not be looked at differently because Eritreans are
fighting daily battles to restore the dignity they earned through Independence.
Today, Eritreans are fighting a different type of fight and winning.

This year many dignitaries
were invited to celebrate Eritrea’s Independence. There were representatives
from the Embassy of Sudan and others. However, the presence of the major
Ethiopian opposition groups was a testament to the hard work of both peoples
willingness to collaborate for the betterment of the future of the region.
Amongst the dignitaries included were: Ato
Neamin Zeleke, Secretary General, Alliance for Liberty and Justice in
Ethiopia, (ALEJE) Ato Ephrem Madebo, Head of Foreign Affairs for
both ALEJE and Ginbot 7, Ato Teha Tuko. Head of Organizational
Affairs, OLF (General Kemal’s). Wro. Lulit Mesfin. Director of Government
Affairs, Ginbot 7, Foreign Relations Department, Ato Ahemed, Washington DC
area representative, OLF.

Conclusion

These celebrations,
engrained in the Eritrean way of life, have become second nature that some
Eritreans take for granted. Year after year, Eritrea comes to celebrate
together, to mourn and enjoy each other whenever the occasion calls for it.
This year however, it felt different. The enemies tried to thwart, to threaten
and scare Eritreans into hiding in order to stop or discourage them from
gathering to celebrate in the fashion that they do year after year naturally.
They bragged to have attacked Eritrea. The US Department of State gave travel
warnings designed to discourage Eritrean families from traveling to their
country to celebrate Eritrea’s 21st Independence
Anniversary.

All their attempts
failed. To the contrary, the actions of the enemies emboldened Eritreans to
strengthen their resolve and commitment to their people and government. It strengthened their unity and bond
appreciably. To see the love Eritreans have, to witness the hunger to come
together and experience the unreserved joy of Eritreans is unique and difficult
to describe to an outsider. Eritreans enjoy one another in serene and humbling
way year after year in purpose. If history is a guide and if history can tell
something, there is one reality about Eritrean that will never change,
Eritreans will always unite around their country, revel the moment and enjoy
the journey knowing that they will always come victorious at the end.

Awet N-Hafash

Awetnayu_at_hotmail.com