[dehai-news] MSNBC, One letter rewrites teen's future

From: Semere Asmelash <semere22_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:29:42 +0000

http://thelastword.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/05/12075176-one-letter-rewrites-teens-future

One letter rewrites teen's future

By nick ramsey
 -
In tonight's Rewrite we shared with you the story of a New York City teenager named Senait. Her family came to the United States nearly 20 years ago fleeing a war in the African nation of Eritrea.
Her story was first told in this video from the Young Women's Leadership Network. Senait was helped by the YWLN's CollegeBound Initiative which "empowers young women and men to realize their higher education and life potential by placing full-time college guidance experts in high-need public schools."
To learn more about these organizations or to see Senait's entire original video, just follow the links above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8BidPGs2oFw#!
http://jezebel.com/5915973/your-late-afternoon-cry-girl-learns-shes-the-first-in-her-family-to-go-to-college#13389735872983&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":294}
Senait is the daughter of two immigrants from Eritrea, Africa. Her mother works as a hotel housekeeper, her father drives taxis and neither have studied past elementary school. Senait has a great love of learning, but worried that her limited means would stand in the way of fulfilling her dream of attending Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania. Watch as she finds out otherwise.