[dehai-news] Shebia, Sights and Sounds of Eritrean Independence Celebrations

From: Semere Asmelash <semere22_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:25:30 +0000

http://shaebia.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=278:sights-and-sounds-of-eritrean-independence-celebrations&catid=35:local-a-intl-news&Itemid=41
Sights and Sounds of Eritrean Independence Celebrations
Saturday, 02 June 2012 14:29 | Written by Mansour Nouredin

In conjunction with the Eritrean Independence celebrations, various activities have been undertaken in Asmara. These include Independence carnival, communal activities, cultural and sport activities, and an exhibition entitled ‘Liberation Pavilion’ in Bahti Meskerem Square, which is of course this year’s new addition.
The various administrative areas of Maekel region have also treated their residents with on May 23, 2012. Among them is the one that took place in the neighborhood adjacent to Salina Elementary School.
Speaking about the event, Mrs. Almaz Abraha, administrator of Gezabanda administrative area says, “In addition to celebrating the hard-earned Eritrean independence, luncheons are crucial in bringing the residents of the administrative area together.” Five communal luncheons were accordingly organized to reach out everyone in the neighborhood.
She further said, “Considering the price we paid for the liberation and later securing the sovereignty of the country, such events are only a small gesture of celebrating the cause.” Pointing out that the event was organized by the local residents, Mrs. Almaz stressed that their active participation made the events a success.
“I am glad to serve the guests, the same as my sons proudly did to their beloved country” says Mr. Amr Romodan, a resident of the neighborhood. A father of two martyrs, Mr. Amr has been serving as member of the organizing committee in similar occasion for several years.
Meanwhile, on May 21 and 22, 13 administrative areas of Asmara and 49 institutions and companies staged a carnival parade on Asmara’s main streets. The carnival this year, which highlights the institutions activities, was organized by the National Confederation of Eritrean Workers.
One of the participants of the carnival is Asmara Pickling Tannery (APT). The tannery, which is one of the biggest in the country, displayed a miniature of the new spraying machine introduced in 2008 to transform the ‘wet blue’ into finished leather. Noting that the carnival manifests Eritrean can-do spirit at a time when Eritreans are facing several challenges, Mr. Mohammed Yassin, General Manager of APT, said the carnival boldly asserts that Eritreans of all ages and walks of life are striving hard to make their country a better place.
“In this regard we ought to reiterate our allegiance to the nation through hard work and innovativeness,” he noted.
The carnival of the Gezamanda administration focused on the unity of the Eritrean ethnic groups, represented by thirty students each wearing traditional dresses while at the same time performing traditional dances.
As part of the celebrations, a Liberation Pavilion displaying the day-to-day livelihoods of the Eritrean fighters during the struggle for liberation was opened by President Isaias Afwerki on May 19, 2012.
Mr. Habteghiorghis Tesfamariam (Tewil), one of the exhibition’s organizers, said that the exhibitions was organized by members of four ex-divisions of the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front and the Propaganda and Agitation Department of the Front.
Tewil also pointed out that “the exhibition was the first of its kind and enabled the public in general and adults and children in particular to get acquainted with the hardships the Eritrean struggle for liberation had gone through.”
The exhibition, which included photographs, magazines, samples of fighters’ articles… remained open to visitors for a week.
Held under the theme; “Eritrea Independence: Core of Our Dignit,y” the celebrations begun on May 14, 2012. In this year’s celebrations 41 songs and 13 dramas were staged in various venues of the city.