[dehai-news] IN DEPTH African Magazine "Eritrea Celebrates its 21st Independence Anniversary"

From: samuel Igbu <ypfdjbc_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 03:58:54 -0700

Eritrea celebrates its 21stindependence anniversary

The African continent can benefit from all the accomplishments this new
country Eritrea has done within its life span of only 21 years.

Eritrea, despite the obstacles faced, with its consistent and undivided
attention to achieve what is right for its citizens, it is able to show
tangible progress in the sectors of health, education, infrastructure,
agriculture and communication.

*Health:*

Based on UNICEF’s report “Eritrea has made significant strides in reducing
[of] child mortality….most notably in relation to MDGs 4 and 6 (child
health and HIV/AIDS)” “The Government’s strong commitment to unity and
resilience has enabled these gains while many of its neighbors are lagging
behind.” The same report also acknowledged the challenges Eritrea is facing
in particular to the ‘no peace no war’ stalemate with its southern neighbor
Ethiopia.

As to the construction of health centers, clinics, hospitals, and referral
hospitals, it is beyond the expectation of a nation only 21 years old. The
following table from Wikipedia tells how the progress is evolving:

Life expectancy39.1 (1960)59.5 (2008)World DataBankUnder five mortality
rate per 1,000 live births205 (1975)58.2 (2008)World DataBank and MDG
IndicatorsImmunization coverage (measles)34% (1993)95% (2008)MDG
IndicatorsChildren
underweight43.7% (1995)38.4% (2002)DHS 1995/DHS 2002Maternal mortality
ratio per 100,000 live births998 (1995)450 (2005)WHO 2009Antenatal care
coverage48.9% (1995)70.3%(2002)DHS 1995/DHS 2002Births attended by skilled
health personnel20.6% (1995)28.3% (2002)DHS 1995/DHS 2002Health
infrastructure16 hospitals; 4 health centers; 106 health stations (1991)25
hospitals; 52 health centers; 180 health stations; 113 clinics (2008)MoH
(2008) and WHO (2009)Physicians (per 1,000 people)0.2 (1993)0.5 (2004)World
Databank

Education:

Eritrea has worked on providing equal access to all its citizens within the
country. Among Eritrea’s bold move is how it created nomadic schools to
accommodate those who move from place to place. The enrolment of students
is at its highest level. Eritrea worked so diligently to educate parents
and guardians of children that it’s compulsory for all children to attend
to school. Building of primary schools is the prime project of the ministry
of Education. The adult illiteracy rate that was around 80% at time of
independence is now projected to fall below 10% by 2015. As for growth in
number of students, teachers, and schools the following table speaks for
itself:
% Growth

No. of Students

No. Teachers

No. Schools
Preschools

612%

497%

632%
Elementary Schools

106%

107%

119%
Middle Schools

454%

366%

365%
High School

262%

189%

256%
Technical and Professional Schools

1,109%

238%

250%

The story is the same in higher education. The country has now 8 colleges
as opposed to only 1 at time of independence. Starting in 2009 the country
is annually graduating about 35 medical doctors.

* *

*Infrastructure*

* *

Eritrea has also been able to connect most of its remote villages through
an amazing network all season roads. Some of the terrain where these roads,
where impenetrable by any stretch of imagination, but local know how and
determination has made it possible and now they are a marvel for tourists.
The new road that connects the town of Adi Qeyih with the port city of
Massawa is an engineering marvel. The travel distance between the two
cities is now 25% of what it was few years ago. Now that most of the
villages’ towns and cities are linked, and plenty of new transportation
buses have been imported, the agony has been part of the past. Several of
these roads are now slated to be paved in the coming few months. Eritrea is
also working with its air and sea transportations for the convenience of
its citizens with in the country and the Diaspora and visitors.

The following can give a glimpse of the total picture of roads in Eritrea
as of 1996. Since then within the last 6 years a lot has changed. Every
single day counts when it comes to Eritrean progress.

*Title*

*Start point*

*Intermediate point*

*End point*

*Road type*
P-1Asmara <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmara>Ghinda<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghinda>
Massawa <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massawa>AsphaltP-2Asmara<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmara>Adi
Tekelezan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Tekelezan>Keren<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keren,_Eritrea>
AsphaltP-3Asmara <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmara>Adi
Keyh<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Keyh>
Senafe <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senafe>AsphaltP-4Asmara<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmara>
Mendefera <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendefera>Mareb
River<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mareb_River>
Asphalt(*border with
Ethiopia*)P-5Keren<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keren,_Eritrea>
Barentu <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barentu,_Eritrea>Tesseney<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseney>
AsphaltP-6Massawa
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massawa>Tiyo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiyo>
Asseb <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asseb>GravelP-7Asseb<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asseb>
*n/a*Bure <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bure,_Africa>AsphaltP-8Gahtelai<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gahtelai>
Shebah <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebah>She’eb<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27eb>
AsphaltP-9Serejeqa
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serejeqa>*n/a*Shebah<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebah>
Gravel

Source of 1996.

*Agriculture*

Eritrea took the agriculture sector as its own major security issue. With
the dedication of its citizen and heavy investment Eritrea is now seeing
the bright future that is relying on itself to produce enough food for its
citizens and beyond. This should not be looked lightly as the outcome is
demonstrated while the whole horn of Africa countries were suffering from
drought Eritrea was able to sustain from being part of the burden.
According to a study by a Cornell professor only three of the newly built
dams and irrigation around them has the possibility to feed over 5 million
people in a year.

The writer will provide the data as updated report become handy.

*Communication*

Eritrea in 1991 has only very few land lines that are not reliable at all.
Since independence Eritrea was able to identify it is one of the
necessities for the country to be able to advance and catch up with the
world community that the communication has undeniable role.

Now, in Eritrea in most villages, including those remote ones, are
wirelessly connect with cell phones, and the internet is available in most
high schools. The ministry of education is using solar powered computers
where the electrical grid doesn’t reach. Work is on progress to make for an
easier and faster access.

Acknowledging the roll of internet Eritrea is dedicate to make sure the one
who lives in a very remote village must have equal access to the one who
goes to school in the capital.

The writer will provide updated data of as it became available.

>From the above information it is understandably that Eritrea is progressing
on the right truck. This could be a good example if our African continent
utilizes the methods Eritrea is following.

--
Sincerely
*YPFDJ British Columbia Chapter*