[dehai-news] Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Update on terrorism allegations issue

From: BIRIKTI BAHTA <lkyriak_at_shaw.ca_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 17:54:28 -0800

  Eritrean Community in Winnipeg
Please find update on allegations of terrorism
1.VOA interview
2. Letter to the Editor
3. Press Release

http://www.voanews.com/templates/mediaDisplay.html?mediaPath=http://www.voanews.com/MediaAssets2/tigrigna/dalet/Eritreans_in_Winnipeg_12_20_11.Mp3&mediaContentID=135946463

http://www.voanews.com/tigrigna/news/Eretreans-In-Winnipeg-135946463.html

Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc.
P.O.BOX 1105, Station Main. Winnipeg, MB. Postal Code. R3C 2X4
www.eritreancommunity.ca Tel 204 415 2248

December 15. 2011
Ms. Margo Goodhand
Editor
Winnipeg Free Press
1355 Mountain Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R2X 3B6
Dear Ms. Goodhand:
Re: Articles in the Winnipeg Free Press on the Eritrean Community in Winnipeg, Inc.
The purpose of our letter is:
· To bring to your attention the serious issue created by repeated publications in the Winnipeg Free Press, alleging support of terrorism, money extortion and breach of confidentiality by the Eritrean Community and its members in Winnipeg and in Canada, based on politically motivated unfounded allegation and a serious mass media distortion of facts.
· To urge you to rectify the defamation, stigmatization and unnecessary polarization created due to the published articles in your newspaper and to restore the reputation of a vibrant law abiding and peaceful community that has fought against terrorism and has been victimized by it.
· To inform you that the wider Eritrean Community is outraged by the publications and severity of unfounded allegations.

We are referring to the following articles:
“Protest links seminar to Eritrean terrorists” by Matt Preprost
Winnipeg Free Press, August 23, 2010
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/protest-links-seminar-to-eritrean-terrorists-101283344.htm
“Country they fled has long tentacles Regime taps Eritrean refugees for cash” By Carol Sanders, Winnipeg Free Press, November 25, 2011
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/country-they-fled-has-long-tentacles-134482753.html
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/134812883.html
Our concerns are as follows:

· Eritrean-Canadians all over Canada are outraged, deeply saddened, dismayed, and deeply concerned by these publications of politically motivated, unfounded allegations and the implications of these articles to the wider Winnipeg and Canadian Community.
· We are strongly disturbed by the notion that African issues do not require more thorough research before publishing such serious allegations, without carefully looking into the damage these unproven allegation could bring to the reputation of the local Eritrean Community, the Canadian–Eritrean Community across Canada and the Immigrant and African newcomer communities in general.
· We are deeply worried that these allegations irreversibly stigmatize, polarize and incite hate and violence among the African communities, and in particular the communities originating from the Horn of Africa and Middle East.
· We, as Canadians of Eritrean origin, are deeply concerned that the word “terrorism” is being used against us in your paper’s articles. By characterizing entire local communities and labelling them as terrorists or alleging they are linked to terrorism, there is a very damaging sense of distrust being created among our fellow Canadian friends and neighbours with unpredictable complications.
· We urge the Winnipeg Free Press to quickly rectify the damage and reassess the language used when dealing with these sensitive issues, especially when the word “terrorism” is being used in regard to local populations with no evidence of the allegations.
· Africa has undergone through many liberation struggles. You cannot retroactively reassess Africa’s history, leaders and freedom fighters and now label them as terrorists. It will be in complete disregard of the historical context of colonization in Africa that happened with the most violent and inhuman practices.

The research done by the writers, with a one-sided story presented to the public, has stigmatized our community and has done a great disservice to your readers. We believe that your respected paper is being used by some politically motivated individuals to engage in a process of mass media distortion by alleging our local Eritrean community of law-abiding Canadian citizens and new Canadians as terrorists and money extorters.
The two articles are quick to criminalize the good nature of Canadian Eritreans and our brave efforts and financial sacrifices to rehabilitate on our own goodwill and support for our war-ravaged homeland of Eritrea.
For your information, the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc. has had no hand in the 2% rehabilitation tax. The 2% rehabilitation tax is applicable only to those dual citizenship holders, including Canadian-Eritreans, who want to do business within Eritrea as Eritrean citizens. The Eritrean Community in Winnipeg has no responsibility in this regard and, therefore, we cannot respond to the details of the process.
As citizens of Eritrea, we are very conscious of the benefits this rehabilitation tax is doing to our war ravaged country.
· We believe reducing poverty is the best way to eliminate grounds for radicalism. Eritreans have been victims of terrorism. The thousands of Canadian-Eritrean Diaspora who pay the 2% rehabilitation tax have been doing it knowingly that their money has been used to rehabilitate war orphans and handicaps. The rehabilitation tax is used to assist Eritrean brothers and sisters at times of difficulty and disasters and to restore agricultural, health and education sectors in post independence Eritrea since 1992. It should be highly appreciated and admired by all those Canadians who have been helping the needy of the world, learning from the generosity of fellow Canadians, we believe we should be at the forefront to help needy Eritreans.
To Criminalize a caring attitude, a responsible and effective way of defying terrorism and prevent it, before it is even created is a clear distortion of the facts and wrongfully attributing non existent attitudes, intension and practices to New Canadians of Eritrean origin and the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc.
In a concreted effort the articles’ writers are omitting essential information about the accusers.
Both accusers in the article were educated and became nurse and journalist with the 2% rehabilitation tax contribution of the Eritrean diaspora. They got higher education for free, worth of tens of thousands; they did not pay the Eritrean public in service as they were expected to do. Is this the extortion they are referring to? Imagine who is doing the extortion. These are some of the things we are asking you to do a thorough research. Could someone ask for transcripts from any university without paying for the services or without honoring his/her part of the agreement?
These issues of defamation published in the Winnipeg Free Press against the wider Eritrean-Canadian Communities and the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc. related to allegations of terrorism could also create a dangerous precedence of marginalization and stigmatization of new Canadians.
· We believe both articles were one sided and the members of the Eritrean Community in Winnipeg were not been given an equal opportunity to respond to the serious allegations. The information obtained from the accused was superficial, poorly done and the information obtained from the accusers poorly researched and cross-referenced.

e.g. the accusers refer to extortion of money from local Eritrean community and “agents” but the truth is completely the opposite.

Please note:

A) The Eritrean diaspora had paid their tuition fees and supported the education of the accusers. In the article this is totally omitted and literally distorted.

B) New Canadians of Eritrean Origin are overwhelmingly welcomed and assisted in Winnipeg by the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc. by its members and by the people who pay rehabilitation taxes and supported their education, and the education of their brothers and sisters who are left behind in Eritrea.

C) Those who know the nature of the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc. can tell you about the programs and volunteer work we do to assist new refugees and immigrants. There is documented monumental work of care and compassion, during the 30 years of existence of the Eritrean Community in Manitoba which has helped thousands of Canadians of Eritrean origin to succeed in Manitoba and Canada.

Many of your previous articles can confirm that. Please read some examples of which were even written by Carol Sanders herself. (Please note that Carol is referring to the same people with completely opposite characterization):
o caring versus money extorters,
o socially and politically mature versus terrorism,
o people engaged in a celebration versus fearful members,
o People outspoken and joyful versus people that feel that their Personal information has been breached).
See:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/lance/Small-tutoring-program-yielding-big-results-97871699.html?device=mobile&c=y

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/picturing-a-better-life-ahead-97650754.html
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/photography-helps-ease-the-spirit-for-single-mom-97651279.html?viewAllComments=y
http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/scene/other/2011/05/18/post-11/

D) Post Eritrea’s Independence in 1991, it was the Eritrean diaspora that recommended and established a 2% rehabilitation tax. This has helped rehabilitate 20,000 orphans, 60,000 disabled, and thousands of families who were victims of the 30 year war for independence. (See attached personal story linked to Winnipeg and to the president of the Eritrean Community in Winnipeg).

E) The 2% rehabilitation tax and the Eritrean diaspora contribution paid the education and tuition of the two accusers to become a nurse and a journalist and the two accusers seem to lack memory or recollection; instead they claim to be advocates of human rights and to represent faith organizations and they are accusing their benefactors as funding terrorists. They were the beneficiaries. Are they telling us they are terrorists? If you want, we can get you the statistics on how far Eritrea has advanced in providing healthcare, education and food security for its citizens. You can compare Eritrea’s performance vis-à-vis the UN Millennium Development goals with other African nation and do the simple math that will show you how bogus and politically motivated the allegations are.

F) The Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc. has sponsored more than 1500 applicant refugees and supported their relatives here through the Private Sponsorship Program. This successful program was completed with extreme diligence, a profound sense of care and respect for the sponsoring families and the principal applicants and the confidentiality of their information.
(We have declarations signed by the sponsoring people that will be submitted to you and CIC as additional evidence about process and fees.)

G) It is with a sense of social wisdom that we started healing the wounds of the consequences of Ethiopia’s refusal to implement the Algier’s Agreement and Ethiopia’s refusal to implement the demarcation process in 2001.

E) In 2001 we joined the Private Sponsorship Program in Collaboration with Manitoba Interfaith and CIC. In a real observance of Eritrean and Canadian values of caring, the Eritrean Community took the responsibility of healing the wounds of fellow citizens. We started 10 years before the accusers had even perceived the idea of helping fellow new Canadians. We have been practicing our Human Rights duties while we were supporting their education to become a nurse and a journalist. The writers of the articles have missed all this information! Is this deliberate or was all this information omitted by mistake? Have the articles’ writers realized that we were sponsoring refugees when the accusers were still in Eritrea?
.
· The tw articlewriters have shown to have very poor insight on the issues of the Horn of Africa, and the very complex dynamics of the present political situation.
· In an extreme exaggeration of the facts, the following articles go beyond imagination to allege that Eritrean Canadians are ready to attack Canada. If they are serious about the articles, the two involved would do a serious investigation to expose such a plot, so that all of us Canadians will be spared of any ill intention that is designed to harm us.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11/05/eritrea-is-raising-money-in-canada-and-financing-terrorists-that-want-to-attack-canada/
http://www.alenalki.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7281:response-to-the-editof-of-national-post-eritrean-canadian-association-of-ontario&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=53

F) 70.000 Eritreans were deported from Ethiopia during 1998-2000 war. They were forcibly separated from their families and children. They were deported with not a single penny in their pocket. Did the international community assist any of them? Millions were donated from
the Eritrean diaspora to rehabilitate these victims of ethnic cleansing that the Ethiopian Prime Minister openly boasted about expelling Eritreans for “not liking the color of their eyes”.
The international community remained disturbingly silent at that time. It is the Eritrean diaspora that intervened to rehabilitate these people who were traumatized by being forced to walk through mined front-lines in the middle of the night. Carol Sanders did not ask why the Eritrean Community was donating money at the time, how was it was able to fundraise that money, but was quick to attach an allegation of terrorism to it. Ostensibly, some of the
$12,328 .37 referred in the article was done by the organization of one of the accusers as a fundraising by selling food and tea in 2000.
Matt Prost and Carol Sanders have not shown the required journalistic diligence and they stigmatized our members and communities by alleging terrorist activities or linked to terrorist or funding terrorism, extortion of money and breach of Personal Information Act.
We believe that they acted irresponsibly and not in full knowledge of the implications of the allegations to the wider African and middle East Community of Manitoba and Canada.
Carol Sanders has fallen into the trap of victimizing her local community (Eritrean Community In Winnipeg) but not recognizing that the accusers were using their own local community as a sacrificial lamb for their ulterior political motives (outside of the political sphere of the Winnipeg community and Canada) in order to maximize the UN sanctions, originally drafted by Ethiopia, later on were watered down to take the form taken on December 5th of 2011. Even the words of the text of the original document that Ethiopia tried to push through the UN system and those used by the Free Press were identical. Had the Free Press done its homework right, it would have found out, it was being used as a vehicle for a political motive. This goes against the grain of Canadian decency, fairness and neutrality that many have come to appreciate. The accusers aimed to sensationalize the news in order to serve ulterior political motives that come from a different centre than the wider majority of Eritrean political diaspora- the Ethiopian government in Addis Ababa.
See:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11/05/eritrea-is-raising-money-in-canada-and-financing-terrorists-that-want-to-attack-canada/
http://www.alenalki.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7281:response-to-the-editof-of-national-post-eritrean-canadian-association-of-ontario&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=53
Carol Sanders, by being unable to identify the political language coming from the Regime in Addis Ababa, chose to rehash accusations, and in the process, has unjustly stigmatized her local Winnipeg Eritrean Community.
See:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/134812883.html
We do appreciate Carol Sanders’ effort and interest in newcomers and African Communities. With this article though, she has shown lack of knowledge of the dynamics of the Horn of African politics and she did a great disservice to the Winnipeg Free Press readers and the public by implicating the Canadians of Eritrean origin as funding terrorism, as forcibly paying a 2% rehabilitation tax to the Eritrean Government, promoting money extortion from refugees, and violating basic rights of our community
B) Firebrand speaker triggers ban bid Fearful of anti-Semitic incitement
By: Carol Sanders Posted: 05/21/2011 1:00 AM
See:
www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/firebrand-speaker-triggers-ban-bid-122381158.html

www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/122765614.html?device=mobile

Eritrea is one of the few Middle East countries that have an Embassy in Israel; Israel also has one in Eritrea. Most of all, the issue of anti-Semitism is inconceivable among the Eritrean population and the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc. A sizeable majority of Eritreans speak one of three Semitic languages, share a Semitic culture, consider themselves to be of a Semitic origin. The issue that was reported was taken out of proportion and we are still trying to clarify the misunderstanding and misinformation. Furthermore, we also know, by experience, how much a population can suffer when the world chooses to be indifferent.

This is a sensitive issue, very much at heart for us that we are going to deal with our Jewish brothers and sisters in our own way. Our people by tradition and religion remember the Jewish people in every single prayer of the day by referring to the Hebrew scripts of the Bible. Half of our names are of Hebrew background; and many in Eritrea believe to be of Semitic descent. It is a paradox and an oxymoron for us to be anti-Semitic. It is the wrong card to play for the accusers. Carol Sanders regretfully failed to recognize this too.

We strongly ask you to properly identify the issues at stake and rectify the unwarranted marginalization and stigmatization of the Eritrean Community and local African Communities in Winnipeg by doing thorough research and analysis on the issues at hand, and provide a fair and balanced reporting before publishing blanket accusations.

We ask for a meeting with you, Bob Cox and Carol Sanders to discuss the issues further for correction.

We will be demonstrating in front of your offices (Winnipeg Free Press) on Thursday the 15th of December 2011, at 12:30 p.m.

Sincerely,

Board Members of the ERITREAN COMMUNITY IN WINNIPEG INC.
Demonstration Organizing Committee.

Lambros Kyriakakos 204 794498 1lkyriak_at_shaw.ca
Yohannes Mehari 204 8802260
Mehari Negusse 204 296 6112
M. Ogbagabriel 204 6883777

cc: Mr. Bob Cox, Publisher
cc: Ms. Carol Sanders, Reporter
cc: Citizenship and Immigration
cc: Welcome Place

Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 13, 2011

Canadians of Eritrean Origin in Winnipeg and Manitoba, the Eritrean Community in Winnipeg Inc. The Youth Association of the Eritrean Community in Winnipeg, the Women Association of the Eritrean Community of Manitoba

Will be holding a Demonstration
in front of the Offices of the Free Press 1355 Mountain Avenue
 on Thursday the 15th of December at 12:30 p.m.

To oppose and strongly reject the serious
Mass Media Distortion from the Winnipeg Free Press with unfounded allegations of terrorism against the Eritrean Community

-Dismayed by the irresponsible writing of two articles-stated below- that is harming our community and polarizing our members in Winnipeg and in Canada among Eritreans and other African Communities.
-Concerned that the one sided stories are promoting a sense of social marginalization and political selectivity among the new immigrant African Community in Manitoba that is affecting our relationship with our fellow Canadian neighbours.
-Concerned about the effect that this will have on our children and the new generation of Canadians of Eritrean origin.
-Dismayed by the irresponsible writing on the paper regarding issues pertaining the Eritrean community in general and the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc. with unfounded allegation of terrorism links, money extortion and breach of privacy.
-Disturbed by the fact that your Newspaper had done no serious effort to listen to our voice and provide an opportunity to respond to the serious allegations against the Eritrean-Canadian Community.
We urge the Winnipeg Free Press to stop incriminating, marginalizing the Eritrean Community In Winnipeg by posting unfounded allegations
We urge the Winnipeg Free Press to rectify and restore the social stigmatization and defamations that has occurred due to the irresponsible writing.

Protest links seminar to Eritrean terrorists” Matt Preprost
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/protest-links-seminar-to-eritrean-terrorists-101283344.htm
“By Carol Sanders, Winnipeg Free Press November 25, 2011
Country they fled has long tentacles Regime taps Eritrean refugees for cash
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/country-they-fled-has-long-tentacles-134482753.html
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/134812883.html

For more information please contact
Lambros Kyriakakos Yohannes Mehari Mehari Negusse M. Ogbagabriel
 204 7944981 204 8802260 204 296 6112 204 6883777
lkyriak_at_shaw.ca

Please find related reference/ articles to Eritrean Community in Winnipeg

 Tutoring Program
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/lance/Small-tutoring-program-yielding-big-results-97871699.html?device=mobile&c=y

 Photography Project
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/picturing-a-better-life-ahead-97650754.html

Eritrean Women Photography Project

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/photography-helps-ease-the-spirit-for-single-mom-97651279.html?viewAllComments=y

Eritrean Women Photography Project
http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/scene/other/2011/05/18/post-11/

 ERITREAN COMMUNITY IN WINNIPEG INC.

DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIZATION

The Eritrean Community in Winnipeg is an incorporated organization that represents the Eritrean community, one of the first African ethno cultural communities that was established in Manitoba. It is part of an umbrella organization, the African Communities of Manitoba Inc (ACOMI). Many people from the East African country of Eritrea came to Canada during the pre-independence years of intense turmoil and conflict. The first Eritreans came in the 70’s and established themselves as a formal community organization in 1983 in Winnipeg. Last year The Eritrean Community in Winnipeg celebrated 28 years of presence in Manitoba. The Eritrean Community in Winnipeg has 2,200 members.

The Eritrean Community in Winnipeg Inc is governed by a board of directors and a set of bylaws for more info visit www.eritreancommunity.ca

The mandate of the organization includes promoting Eritrean culture in Manitoba, strengthening the Eritrean community, Foster good relations between Canada and Eritrea, fostering cooperation between community members and community organizations, preserve cultural heritage and history. The Eritrean community also assists in providing resettlement, addresses intergenerational issues and partners with agencies, assist emerging Eritrean-Canadian youth with Cross-cultural issues, advocates for immigrant youth and women, assists with special needs cases and is involved addressing racism issues, and assisting with disaster relief when needed.

The Eritrean community comes from a geographical and geopolitical position in the world where Middle Eastern and African culture intersect with a Greco-Roman influence. Eritrea is comprised of nine major ethnic groups, the Tigre, Tigrigna, Bilen, Saho, Rashiada, Nara, Kunama , Afar and Hidareb, each with diverse cultural traditions making for a rich and vibrant heritage. Offering members from this community the opportunity to develop a voice through art video will provide a window into this world, enriching both their own community as well as the larger Canadian community.

Major cultural activities of the community
Cultural celebrations
Traditional music - dances and training.
Contemporary Eritrean music - dances and training
Cultural performances by the Eritrean-Canadian Youth Group In Manitoba -Folklorama
Cultural performance of Eritrean-Canadian Women’s Group in Manitoba
Promote sports activities
Intergenerational classes for parents
Community Cased Education for newcomers on parenting In Collaboration with Mount Carmel
Organized and sponsored for 28 years the Eritrean Community Youth Soccer team
Foods and cooking classes
Traditional coffee ceremony performances at community level
Yearly Memorial Day Commemoration at Assiniboine Park.
Liberation day celebration
Organizes 2-3 major Social events per year.
Various social events
Movie nights and Arts promotion activities
Organizes 4-6 family oriented picnics per year.

Major projects and community support programs and advocacy.
Sponsoring refugees from war-torn areas
Welcoming newcomers - providing support and assistance with resettlement
Providing assistance for special refugee cases
Assisting refugee women, specially emotionally traumatized refugee women
Strengthening Eritrean families and addressing intergenerational issues
Partner in The Community Based Education for families
With Art Photography project for single headed families
Young emerging artists Video Project
Newcomers Educational after School Program
Women’s coffee ceremony project.
11. Assists and helps coordination of ACOMI Projects
12. Organizes regular bi-monthly session on Occupational Health issues.

 Major partners
Department of Labour and Immigration
Welcome Place
University of Manitoba
Occupational Health Center
Ethno-cultural Support Program
Manitoba Interfaith Council
Eritrean-Canadian Communities across Canada
Various service providers to newcomers and refugee agencies
Video Pool
10. Winnipeg Arts Council
11. Manitoba Arts Council
12. Canada Arts Council
11. Founding member of the Coalition for Newcomers Youth Educational Support