[dehai-news] Winnipegfreepress.com: Eritrean community demonstrates at Free Press

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:52:08 +0100

Eritrean community demonstrates at Free Press

By: Staff Writer

<http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Eritrean-community-demonstrat
e-at-Free-Press-135687313.html#comments> Comments: 0 (including replies)

A group of Eritrean demonstrators marched outside of the Winnipeg Free Press
this afternoon.

About 100 protestors from the Eritrean community demonstrated outside the
offices of the Winnipeg Free Press today, upset about stories they believe
portray them as having links to terrorist groups.

Lambros Kyriakakos, a board member with the Eritrean Community in Winnipeg
Inc., said he wants to see an apology in the Free Press.

"We want to see action," Kyriakakos said.

"Our children are being called terrorists... this causes damage... We are
now Canadians. The actions of two or three people can't stigmatize the whole
community."

Several people waved signs saying "We are victims of terrorists" and "Don't
victimize the victim."

At one point, six Winnipeg police cruisers were at the Free Press and a
police officer helped Free Press security close one of the gates to prevent
protestors from coming onto the property after a vehicle with four members
of an opposing group drove into the parking lot.

One of the people in that vehicle, Ghezae Hagos, said there are more
Eritreans in Winnipeg who disagree with the protesters, but they are afraid
of repercussions against them or their family if they speak out.

"It is a privilege to come to Canada," Hagos said.

"These people are perpetuating the problems in Eritrea. This protest is a
reflection of what is going on back home.

"They have just come to demonstrate and silence us."

Free Press editor Margo Goodhand met the protesters at the gate and waded
into the middle of the crowd to explain the newspaper's side and hear from
the protestors.

Afterwards, Goodhand said "this is a free and democratic society, and we
welcome opinions of all kinds.

"I'm glad these people came out to express their perspective, and we will
continue to investigate the issue. We will not be intimidated by protests or
petitions or threats on either side.

"We stand by our reporters and the work they have done on this story."

A group of Eritrean demonstrators marched outside of the Winnipeg Free Press
this afternoon.

KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
<http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/111215-_ERITREAN_DEMO_3_152.jpg>
Enlarge Image