[dehai-news] THE WAR YOU DON'T SEE

From: Tesfay Sebahtu <tesfayseb_at_sbcglobal.net_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 22:28:10 -0800

Hi All,

This Friday December 16th 2011, we will be screening the documentary film
"The War You Don't See" by John Pilger. Below is a brief review of the
film by "The Guardian". In light of the many articles written to defame
Eritrea by the well known papers, I think it is important to see how these
media operate. I will let the review speak for the movie.

Thank You

Note: we will only show this here in Oakland one time.

What: Documentary film by John Pliger "The War You Don't See"
Where: ECCCC
            5255 Claremont Ave.
            Oakland CA 94610
Time: 8:00 - 9:36 PM

 The War You Don't See – review

Documentary-maker John Pilger on the grotesque untruth of "weapons of mass
destruction" and the cowardliness of the mainstream media taking the
official line

    [image: The War You Don't See]
   WMD exposé ... John Pilger in The War You Don't See.

   Documentary <http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/documentary>-maker John
   Pilger has returned to a subject that can't be revived often enough: the
   grotesque untruth of "weapons of mass destruction": a cloudy concept,
   eagerly amplified and lent credibility by credulous and submissive
   journalists who, after 9/11, lost their nerve en masse. Pilger's contention
   is that on Afghanistan, on Iraq and on Israel and the Palestinian
   territories, the mainstream media simply take the official line. The force
   of his film is in its contention that the colossal scale of civilian
   casualties is, within the grammar of news, downgraded in importance so that
   it doesn't figure as news at all, but as all-but-invisible deep background
   to be ignored. Pilger gives due respect to WikiLeaks, although his praise
   for al-Jazeera's independence is ironic, given that WikiLeaks has just
   revealed the possibility that the Qatar government is manipulating
   the channel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/dec/09/the-war-you-dont-see-review