[dehai-news] Innercitypress.com:: 1. At UN, US Rice Pushes Vote on Eritrea Santions, Russia Says No, S. Africa Amends, 2. At UN on Eritrea Sanction, Russia Says Afwerki Should Be Invited Before Vote, (Must read)

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 01:25:01 +0100

At UN, US Rice Pushes Vote on Eritrea Santions, Russia Says No, S. Africa
Amends

By Matthew Russell Lee

30/11/2011

UNITED NATIONS, November 30, updated below -- After a draft resolution to
impose more UN Security Council sanctions on Eritrea was "put in blue" at
5:30 pm on Tuesday, the Council delayed a planned 10 am open debate on its
Working Methods to fight behind closed doors about voting on the sanctions.

As Inner City Press exclusively reported Tuesday night, US Ambassador Susan
Rice said the vote should take place Wednesday since Gabon, Nigeria and the
regional IGAD group want the sanctions.

But the other African member of the Council, South Africa, questioned the
rush to vote. Eritrean president Afwerki as asked to speak to the Council.
Ambassador Rice put on a block, and as of now no other member has ("dared
to") call for a procedural vote, which it is predicted Rice would lose.

Most Council members spoken to by Inner City Press feel that if any head of
state wants to speak with the Council, especially before sanctions are
imposed, it should be allowed as a matter of due process and precedent.

On Wednesday morning sources told Inner City Press that Russian Ambassador
Vitaly Churkin said there should be no vote on the Eritrea draft today.
South Africa has amendments. Experts will meet -- but will Rice get her way?
Watch this site.

Update of 11:10 am: Inner City Press is told that Russia's Churkin told
Susan Rice, if you put it to a vote today, it won't pass. Watch this site.

**********************************

At UN on Eritrea Sanction, Russia Says Afwerki Should Be Invited Before Vote

By Matthew Russell Lee

UNITED NATIONS, November 30 -- After a closed door
<http://www.innercitypress.com/usun3eritrea113011.html> "showdown" in the
Security Council between US Ambassador Rice and Russian Ambassador Vitaly
Churkin about when and how to vote on proposed new Eritrea sanctions, Inner
City Press asked Ambassador Rice if she thought there would be a vote in the
afternoon on Eritrea sanctions. Ambassador Rice did not stop or answer.

  Moments later, Russia's Churkin emerged from the Council. He spoke at
length with the Press, recounting that "we had some people working on the
sanctions resolution, on and off... All of the sudden last night we were
told the sponsors were moving the resolution in blue, voting... today."

As Inner City Press exclusively reported Tuesday night, US Ambassador Susan
Rice said the vote should take place Wednesday since Gabon, Nigeria and the
regional IGAD group want the sanctions.
<http://www.innercitypress.com/usun2eritrea112911.html>

  Churkin on Wednesday disagreed, saying "there is a 48 hour rule.. but at
least 24 hours" between putting a text into blue and voting on it. He also
noted that "more than a month ago, the president of Eritrea asked to address
the Security Council. We believe it is his right under the UN Charter."

Churkin said Afwerki's request was "consulted on by President of the
Council. One delegation was objecting. We did not precipitate this issue, we
were not sure, if they were not in a hurry on the resolution... But under
those circumstances, we think it would just be wrong to act today on this
resolution. We should finalize experts that were interrupted and give a
chance to the President of Eritrea to come to New York."

Churkin said that Afwerki sent "another letter today that he wants to come
and speak before the vote." About the draft, Churkin said, "we have two or
three concerns, some other have more, some African countries... it's not
some kind of an urgent matter because of some crisis."

The Council's stated agenda was a debate on its Working Methods. Churkin
said on Eritrea this is "not a good method of work."

Inner City Press asked Churkin why no procedural vote had been called for
after Ambassador Rice blocked granting Afkerki's request to address the
Council. Churkin explained, "if we were told a vote is going to take place a
week from now, we will go for procedural vote... Maybe this is why they
rushed into blue, not to let him come. I think it is a ridiculous thing."

Moments later, Inner City Press spoke with Eritrea's Permanent
Representative to the UN Araya Desta. But that's another story - watch this
site.

**************************************

Eritrea Rep Says Ethiopia Offers Help Ping 2d AU Term As Trade for Sanctions

By Matthew Russell Lee, Exclusive

UNITED NATIONS, November 30 -- Amid widespread questioning in the UN
Security Council of the push to vote today on new Eritrea sanctions
<http://www.innercitypress.com/usun3eritrea113011.html> , with the US having
blocked a request from Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki
<http://www.innercitypress.com/usun2eritrea112911.html> to talk to the
Council, Gabon midday on Wednesday again said it would call for a vote later
that day.

  Sources tell Inner City Press that Russia has threatened to veto
<http://www.innercitypress.com/usun4eritrea113011.html> .

  Inner City Press has obtained a copy of the November 29 letter to the
Council from Eritrea's UN Ambassador Araya Desta, and asked Desta about it.
"It is the third letter," Desta told Inner City Press.

  The letter says, "It has come to my attention that the delebation of Gabon
intends to table the draft resolution on Eritrea for action tomorrow... I
appeal to your Excellency that H.E. Mr. Isaias Afwerki, President of the
State of Eritrea, be given the audience to address the [UNSC] before any
action is taken on the draft resolution."

  Desta speaking exclusively to Inner City Press went further: "What does
Gabon know about Eritrea? Where it is? They don't even know the location of
Eritrea." Significantly, larger African member of the Council South Africa
is known to oppose voting on Wednesday on the proposed sanctions.

  Desta told Inner City Press, "It is crazy to penalize the Eritrean people
in order to get a second term for Jean Ping as commissioner of the African
Union." He mused, "maybe Meles [Zenawi] tells him, I'll help you get a
second term, if you help" put more sanctions on Eritrea.

  Inner City Press asked Desta why he thought the US was being so adamant.
Desta said "my President has write two or three letters" to President Obama,
"my foreign minister met with them."

  Some have alluded to the US "using" Ethiopia to fight Islamists in
Somalia, first the Islamic Courts and now Al Shabaab, including it's said
from drone bases in Ethiopia.

To be less US-focused, Eritrea clearly has enemies among other neighbors:
Djibouti, for example, often buzzes around the Security Council. But the
idea that a head of state should on request be allowed to address the
Security Council before such sanctions are voted on seems to be widely held.
Watch this site.