[dehai-news] (Ashleighcycling.com) Asmara – The city of Angels - A cyclist’s impression

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:41:39 -0500

http://www.ashleighcycling.com/asmara-the-city-of-angels/ Asmara – The city of Angels
November 18th, 2011 by Ashleigh Moolman
Pasio<http://www.ashleighcycling.com/author/admin/>

 Happy women and children, the "angels" of Eritrea

I have recently returned from African Continental Championships held in Asmara, Eritrea! What a eye opening and humbling experience! In Eritrea, you look outside and see the poverty, but the people are happy, friendly and content. One of the locals described Asmara as “the city of angels” and I couldn’t agree more!

Here is a collection of my favourite photo’s from my trip to Eritrea.

The city of Asmara is run down, but streets are safe and clean

An evening walk in the streets of Asmara is a must do. It is very safe and festive. We stopped for a gelato in a local bar along the way. There was a real 70′s vibe going, with people sitting at tables chatting and disco lights flashing inside.

Eritrean women blessing the streets of Asmara with popcorn during the African Continental road race.

The beautiful view of the valley off the edge of the plateau, a piece of heaven.

<http://www.ashleighcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSC0179.jpg>

Cherise Taylor and I sharing a moment while crossing the finish line! The African Continental Championships was a great team building experience for the South African women’s team.

Eritrea is a very peaceful country. The people are hard working and very welcoming!

I received an overwhelming response to my Eritrea blog posts, especially from Eritrean’s, local and living abroad. I would like to thank the Eritrean people for their true enthusiastic support and warm welcome to their country! Eritrea is a wonderful place.