[dehai-news] (VOA-Amharic): 29-year old Ethiopian teacher burns himself to death in protest against Meles Zenawi's brutal regime

From: Sophia Tesfamariam <sophia_tesfamariam_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 20:39:27 -0500

http://blip.tv/ethiopianreviewcom/ethiopian-teacher-who-burned-himself-buried-voa-5739195 Yenesew Gebre, the 29-year-old teacher in southern western Ethiopia who burned himself Friday after being subjected to unbearable abuse and injustice by the Meles regime, was buried this afternoon. Meles Zenawi’s security forces prevented his family members and friends from attending the burial ceremony, according to the VOA.

Events in Ethiopia
have taken a disturbing turn following reports that a 29-year-old teacher burned himself Friday in protest against the ongoing brutal clampdown on dissent in the country. According to reports, Yenesew Gebre made an impassioned plea at a protest gathering before dowsing himself in petrol and setting himself on fire. ddressing fellow protestors he is reported to have said:  ’I want to show to all that death is preferable than a life without justice and liberty and I call upon my fellow compatriots to fear nothing and rise up to wrench their freedom and rights from the hands of the local and national tyrants.’ - (Bureau of Investigative Journalism)

It is understood that Gebre died from his injuries three days later at the Tercha city local hospital. Join our World-Wide E-SMART Movement
Eritrean Sanctions Must be Annulled and Repealed Today!