[dehai-news] (Standard, Kenya) Kenya says Kismayu assault on course

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 21:53:43 -0400

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/InsidePage.php?id=2000046243&cid=4&ttl=Kenya%20says%20Kismayu%20assault%20on%20course  Sunday, 6th November 2011
Kenya says Kismayu assault on course
By Standard Team

The military stepped up Operation Linda Nchi, which is being conducted together with Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government Forces, with the Navy sinking another suspected Al Shabaab vessel near Ras Kamboni after it defied orders to stop for identification.

Yesterday, reports indicated that Kenyan security forces had foiled retaliatory attacks by Al Shabaab gunmen on Kenyan soil.

An attack at Dadaab in Garissa – a region that’s a main front in the military operation – failed hours after another violation on Friday night.

Police and aid workers escaped after their truck ran over a landmine that however did not explode yesterday morning.

The device had been planted on a busy road used by aid trucks near Hagadera Police Station, about a kilometre from the Dadaab Refugee Camp.

Authorities believe that the target of the abortive attack were police officers escorting aid trucks.
*

Reinforcement
*

On Friday night, Al Shabaab fighters riding donkeys reportedly attacked Hulugho Trading Centre in Garissa in the second incident this week.

The gunmen were repulsed after a heavy firefight with the police who later got military reinforcement.

"We have just sent a team to investigate the incident," said North Eastern Provincial Police Officer Leo Nyongesa, who promised to later give a comprehensive statement.

An elder, Mohammed Yusuf, said the trading centre yesterday came under sustained attack from men dressed like locals.

‘‘It’s difficult for the Kenyan military to tell apart Al Shabaab militants from civilians. They (Al Shabaab) are dressed like villagers, open shoes, and kikoi,’’ said Mr Yusuf.

Kenya’s military spokesman Emmanuel Chirchir has said large groups of donkeys in Somalia will be considered "Al Shabaab activity" following intelligence that the militants had resorted to using the animals to transport weapons.

Al Shabaab have targeted Kenyan officials and perceived sympathisers of Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government in a series of attacks in Northern Kenya.
*

Captured towns
*

KDF and allied TFG troops want to clear Afmadow of Al Shabaab and then push south to Kismayu, the lifeline for militants who run extortionist rackets at the busy port.

This week, military officials reported that the troops were just five kilometres from Afmadow and after capturing Beles Qoqani, Dhobley and Tabda, all key Al Shabaab towns.

But Kenyan military officials have said the assault on Kismayu might take a little longer as the troops engage in humanitarian activities in liberated Somali towns.

At a joint press conference at Police headquarters in Nairobi, military spokesman Colonel Cyrus Oguna explained why the fall of Kismayu had delayed.

"Our mission has been slowed by the humanitarian assistance we are offering the people in captured towns. The soldiers have also contributed towards buying food and other items for the needy, but mostly we are helping relief agencies to reach the suffering masses," said Col Oguna.

On the attack on suspected Al Shabaab boat in Ras Kamboni, Col Oguna said: "The occupants fired at our officers when challenged to identify themselves, we fired back and they sped deep into the sea. We are in hot pursuit".

Col Oguna reiterated that the border between Kenya and Somalia remained closed and Kenyans living at the coastal town must obey orders.

Kenya formally took on Eritrea over claims that the Red Sea country was supplying arms to Al Shabaab, prompting Asmara to dispatch a high level delegation led by the Foreign Affairs minister this week.