[dehai-news] (New York Post) Meb runs risk for another Marathon win

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 17:32:45 -0400

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/second_chance_OxEe8Bu225F2ELHqZGX8jP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Meb runs risk for another Marathon win

By BRIAN LEWIS

*Last Updated:* 9:12 AM, November 5, 2011

*Posted:* 1:22 AM, November 5, 2011

With the U.S. Olympic marathon trials coming up in just over two months, all of the elite American men are eschewing tomorrow’s New York City Marathon. All but one, that is: Meb Keflezighi, who knows as much about winning the race as any U.S. male since Alberto Salazar.

Two years ago, Keflezighi became the first American man since Salazar in 1982 to win the event. And after fighting through health concerns, he has come to town fit, running well and ready to attempt the double -- the New York Marathon and the Olympic trials.

“I’m looking for a personal best [in New York]. I’m running as fast as I’ve ever run, and I hope to go with my new sponsor [Skechers] and prove people wrong. That’s my intention and what I’ve trained hard for,’’ Keflezighi said. “It’s my only marathon for the year, so I’m excited. I hope [tomorrow] goes well. I’m here, I’m healthy and ready to be competitive.’’

Keflezighi took silver at the 2004 Olympics -- the first American man to medal since 1976 -- and came back to run second in that year’s New York City Marathon. Then, after a stress reaction in his hip during the 2008 Olympic trials knocked him out of the race, he won New York in 2:09.15 a year later.

After last year’s disappointing 10th-place finish, Keflezighi, 36, is chancing tomorrow’s race. His training has been so strong, he is confident despite having just 69 days to rebound before the Olympic trials on Jan. 14 in Houston.

“You know [my fitness is] very good,’’ he said. “The marathon last year I thought I would do really well. It didn’t go that way. But some things happen faster than they ever have. I’m stronger.

“I’m not as sharp as I’ve been, because in 2009 I did a lot more short races. But the marathon is not about just being sharp. You have to have endurance. Endurance turns into speed.’’

With a litany of fast marathons being run this year -- in Boston, Chicago, Frankfurt and Berlin -- especially by the Kenyan contingent, Keflezighi predicts an unusually fast time on this notoriously tough and tactical course.

“You’ll see a fast time on Sunday,’’ said Keflezighi, who was born in Eritrea. “I think it’s going to be very exciting and people should see some good running. I hope to be the one [laughing].’’

Read more:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/second_chance_OxEe8Bu225F2ELHqZGX8jP#ixzz1crw2W7GT