[dehai-news] (The Citizen, Tanzania) Six Dar cyclists to race in African championship in Eritrea

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:58:31 -0400

http://thecitizen.co.tz/sport/18-other-sports/16055-six-dar-cyclists-to-race-in-african-championship.html

Six Dar cyclists to race in African championship Wednesday, 12 October 2011 22:01
Jessca Nangawe
The Citizen Correspondent

Dar es Salaam. Tanzania is expected to field six cyclists in the African Cycling Championship, which would take place in Asmara, Eritrea from November 8 to 13.Tanzania Cycling Association (TCA) secretary general Lado Haule said the competition, sanctioned by the International Cycling Union
(UCI), would involve various African countries.

Haule said the likes of South Africa, Algeria, Morocco, Egypt and Ethiopia have already confirmed to send their troops to the Eritrean capital.The TCA official named the cyclists constituting the national team as; Laizer Loningo, Hamis Hussein, John Samwel, Maua Joseph and Kakaa Meliyo, all hailing from Arusha.

The list also includes; Juma Lukondya who is the only competitor from Zanzibar. The Asmara trip will also comprise two officials.Haule disclosed that Tanzania earned an invitation for the high-profile event following their stupefying performance in the Tour of Rwanda, which was held four months ago. This is the first time Tanzania will have envoys in the continental championship.

He said the Tanzanian cyclists who were picked by the governing body have been undergoing an arduous training for almost three months in Arusha. “It’s our first time to compete in a tournament of such magnitude, but our envoys are well drilled.

“Riders from Morocco, South Africa and Rwanda have a wide experience in the competition, but I believe that our lengthy training will help us outdo them,” Haule said. The team, which is under the tutelage of American Jack Boyer, leaves for Rwanda today for a two-week training before flying to Asmara.

Haule disclosed that after the Eritrea mission, the team would feature in the Tour of Rwanda planned to start on November 20 and run through to November 27.

  Six Dar cyclists to race in African championship Send to a friend<http://thecitizen.co.tz/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3RoZWNpdGl6ZW4uY28udHovc3BvcnQvMTgtb3RoZXItc3BvcnRzLzE2MDU1LXNpeC1kYXItY3ljbGlzdHMtdG8tcmFjZS1pbi1hZnJpY2FuLWNoYW1waW9uc2hpcC5odG1s>   Wednesday,
12 October 2011 22:01
digg

         ----[This List to be used for Eritrea Related News Only]---- Received on Thu Oct 13 2011 - 10:58:52 EDT