[dehai-news] Butterfly Wedi Tikabo’s song in New York

From: <awetnayu_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:43:03 -0600

Butterfly Wedi Tikabo’s song in New York

And here we go again…, Wedi Tikabo’s song came alive in New York during the Presidential gathering as it did in Asmara Stadium in May 24, 2011 independence day. The song Tsim-b-la-lie (Butterfly) by Yohannes Tikabo, due to its strong lyrical and musical appeal shined in Manhattan center New York City. Even though I was not personally there, the experience seemed fun, joyful, exciting and felt the love of my people in one place for one purpose. As H.E. President Isaias Afwerki and delegates entered the Manhattan Center they were received with standing ovation and cheerful roar a show of pleasure and satisfaction. The Presidential gathering must have been gratifying and satisfying for the leaders and participants as they cheered the moment-away accompanied by great songs that included Butterfly.

What is it that makes most his song unique?

I will start with some: --- Catchy melody (hooks)

Simply, Wadi Tekabo, as a singer, song writer and performer has managed to convey his message by symbolizing chronological transitions (metamorphosis) of a butterfly and, how it deals with its formation, growth and development phases. Those stages represent how Eritrea survived through challenging period and emerged a sovereign state because of the patience, integrity, responsibility, religious harmony, synchronization of national development and national Defense and sacrifices of Warsai and Yekealo. Wedi Tekabo managed to direct us to be vigilant and that our umbrella should be impenetrable from any kind of acidic rain, temporary flashing lightning, roaring thunder that simply fades-out even if Eritrea, the Butterfly, was encircled and entrapped by traitors from within and outside by evil thoughts and deeds.

Finally, what makes our Independence Day anniversaries, national holiday celebrations, organizing committee, like the Manhatan Center, Eid Al Fitir and Kudus Yohannes unique is a combination of many factors. It is not just the obvious ones such as a great dance, music, performance, attentive audience etc… But it is also an opportunity to highlight the importance of event organizers, music writers and lyricists, instrument players, dancers and security officers and the like that contribute mightily to the success of these events but go on unrecognized.

TV ERI, thank you and congratulation on the success for putting on an inspiring events, anniversaries and educational programs to our homes inside and outside the country. And also my thanks go to every singers and musicians who always contribute patriotic national songs and participated in various occasions from within and all the talented singers and musicians from abroad. Long live Eritrea!

Tesfai Abraham (Asbu)