[dehai-news] Video/Text: PIA UN Speech

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:53:00 -0400

Video: http://gadebate.un.org/66/Eritrea

ADDRESS BY

Permanent Mission of Eritrea

to the United Nations

HIS EXCELLENCY MR. ISAIAS AFWERKI PRESIDENT OF THE STATE OF ERITREA AT

THE GENERAL DEBATE OF THE 66th SESSION OF THE UNITED NATIONS

GENERAL ASSEMBLY NEW YORK, 23 SEPTEMBER 2011 Mr. President,

Mr. Secretary General,

Your Excellencies,

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let me begin by congratulating you Mr. President, and your country Qatar, on your election to

preside over this session of the United Nations General Assembly and by thanking SecretaryGeneral

Ban Ki-moon for his leadership and achievements.

Mr. President,

We gather at this 66th session of the General Assembly of the United Nations at an important

juncture in the history of the world. We meet at a time of exciting possibilities and opportunities

for the betterment of hundreds of millions of people; and yet these favorable prospects must be

weighed against the profound dangers and sense of anxiety that currently grip our world. The

persistent economic and financial crises, massive unemployment, growing inequality between

and within nations, spiraling levels of debt, recurrent famines and starvation, high levels of

mortality from easily preventable diseases and an increasingly fragile environment are wreaking

havoc on the lives of people and the future of nations. Despite the end of the cold war and the

premature declaration of the emergence of a new world order, wars and military interventions

continue, and almost invariably fail to resolve, and further complicate, the problems they set out

to solve.

It is true that none of these problems are new; yet, there is no denying that the malaise seems

much more intractable today. Three years ago the world was infused by a renewed spirit of hope

and possibility with the historic election of President Barack Obama and the freshness of his

message of positive change. Despite his best efforts, the strength of his personality and his many

talents, however, that hope has not been realized. The reality is that the problems we face are

systemic, were accumulated over many years and decades, and require systemic and structural

change. Effecting this real, positive and durable transformation requires the effort, not only of

one leader and one nation and its allies, but the concerted effort of all nations. We look toward

the emerging and re-emerging powers- China, India, Russia, Brazil and others- to show more

leadership and shoulder bigger responsibilities. We also believe that all nations, whatever their

size, can and should play an increasingly bigger and effective role in the endeavor to build a fair,

just, equitable and sustainable world.

Mr. President,

This year, 2011 , has witnessed the stirring and courageous initiatives taken by the people of

many nations to effect fundamental changes that would lead to a new and dignified beginning for

them and their countries. While the epicenter of the movement has been in North Africa and the

Middle East, it is not limited to the Arab world or the developing nations. In much of the

developed world, there is now the same sense of anger and frustration, the same discontent with

governments that have become beholden to a small minority with special interests, the same

yearning for decent jobs, meaningful political participation and dignified lives. These realities

calmot and should not be denied. Clearly, this is not the time for complacency or arrogance.

What is required today is a frank acknowledgement of the stark global reality we face, the

readiness to empower our peoples and our youth and to work cooperatively for a secure and

brighter future for all.

Mr. President,

As we ponder the future and take stock of the sweeping changes that are underway, we cannot

fai l but underscore that the United Nations has already become hopelessly outdated and risks

becoming totally irrelevant. We all profess agreement on the need to transform the institutions

and procedures of the United Nations but we remain paralyzed, with no prospects for early

progress. Eritrea firmly associates itself with those who stress the urgency of real reform and

believes that what is required is not a mere tweaking of the system but a comprehensive

transformation of the institution. The critical element of this transformation has to be the

strengthening of the authority and role of the General Assembly. As long as this paramount body

is deprived of real decision-making powers, the United Nations will remain unrepresentative of

the nations of the world, even if the size and composition of the Security Council changes

significantly. Similarly, there can be no meaningful revitalization without overhauling the

methods of work and procedures of the United Nations, respecting the rights of member states

and ensuring transparency and accountability in all bodies of the organization.

Mr. President,

Half a century has elapsed since the heyday of the era of decolonization that led to the

emergence of independent African nations. In spite of the hope and enthusiasm of the early

years and the achievements registered since, the past five decades have been largely

disappointing. The trying times and the internal and external challenges that caused them are

certainly not over, as Africa continues to struggle in a difficult and complex international

environment. And yet, without exaggerating the possibilities or underestimating the difficulties,

it is clear that a number of African countries are entering a period of political, economic and

social renewal. They are convinced that Africa has the human and natural resources to succeed.

It will not shun international partnerships but it will give primacy to its own capabilities and to

cooperation at the continental and sub-regional levels. It is this perspective that is spurring

African countries to focus on the key requirement of developing the continent's infrastructure

and promoting trade and economic links among themselves. Another key component is the

revitalization of the African Union and the sub-regional organizations.

At the sub-regional level, Eritrea is committed to economic development and integration in the

wider Horn of Africa and Red Sea regions. We are convinced that no country can succeed in a

turbulent environment. We will work for the revitalization ofIGAD and strive to make it

effective in promoting economic development and integration. We welcome independent South

Sudan and we will work with both Sudan and South Sudan, with whom we have long-standing

ties, as they grapple with their domestic situations and endeavor to build cooperative relations.

On Somalia, it has now become abundantly clear that there is a need for a new approach as the

current one has exhausted itself and can only lead to further complications. Given that the central

objective remains the reconstitution of Somalia and the rebuilding of effective institutions, it is

imperative to seriously engage and bring into a Somali-owned political process all key

stakeholders, including the governments in Somaliland and Puntland.

Regarding the Middle East, which is a key item on the agenda of the current session of the

General Assembly, Eritrea reaffirms its long-standing support to the right of the Palestinian

people to self-determination and an independent, sovereign state. It also upholds the right of

Israel to live in peace and security within internationally recognized boundaries. At the same

time, Eritrea is genuinely concerned that the current drive for UN membership for Palestine does

not become a symbolic battle bereft of real substance. It is only prudent and relevant to recall

that with the exception of few realistic voices, the Oslo Accords were greeted with much acclaim

and that almost two decades later, they have not led to either Palestinian statehood or peace

between the Palestinian and Israeli peoples.

Finally, Mr. President, I would be remiss in my duty ifI did not remind the United Nations of its

responsibility to uphold its Charter and international law as well as numerous Security Council

Resolutions and take urgent action to end Ethiopia's occupation of sovereign Eritrean territory.

Coupled with the lifting of the illegal sanctions on Eritrea, this would not only serve the cause of

justice, but it would enable the people of the region to work together to further their collective

interests and consolidate Africa's place in the world.

I thank you.

         ----[This List to be used for Eritrea Related News Only]---- Received on Fri Sep 23 2011 - 20:54:36 EDT