[dehai-news] (UK Parliament) UK gov: Ethiopia must take steps to begin border demarcation without further delay, dialogue not a pre-requisite to demarcation

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 08:34:03 EDT

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm110909/text/110909w0002.htm#11090989000114
Daily
Hansard - Written Answers 9 Sep 2011 : Column 874W Eritrea

*Hugh Bayley:* To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs what steps he has taken to press the Government of Ethiopia to abide
by the Independent Boundary Commission's ruling on the demarcation of the
border with Eritrea. [71374]

*Mr Bellingham:* The UK Government continue to believe that the
Ethiopia-Eritrea border must be demarcated in accordance with the ruling of
the Ethiopia-Eritrea Boundary Commission. We are concerned by the lack of
progress, which has damaging consequences for Eritrea, Ethiopia and the
stability of the wider region. The UK Government have encouraged both sides
to engage in dialogue as we believe this could help to move beyond the
status quo. We do not consider dialogue to be a pre-requisite to initiating
the process of demarcation, however, and we have made clear to the Ethiopian
Government the importance of taking practical steps to begin demarcation
without further delay. The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs, the right hon. Member for Richmond (Yorks) (Mr Hague), raised this
issue with Prime Minister Meles when he visited Ethiopia in July, and with
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Hailemariam when they met in
London in June.
 Ethiopia

*Ann Clwyd:* To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs when UK Government officials were last granted access to the Ogaden
region in Ethiopia; and under what conditions. [70687]

*Mr Bellingham:* The Government are greatly concerned by the allegations of
serious human rights abuses in some parts of Ethiopia's Somali regional
state. We receive frequent reports of human rights abuses by both Government
security forces and the Ogaden National Liberation Front. We have on many
occasions called on the Ethiopian Government to allow a credible and
independent investigation, both in private conversations