[dehai-news] (bbc) Somalia famine: Youssou N'Dour attacks Africa response

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2011 - 09:36:25 EDT

'Last month the African Union (AU) called a summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia,
to raise money for the drought victims. First it was postponed and then less
than half the countries were represented.

"They didn't go to Addis. But then the next week [French President Nicolas]
Sarkozy called them and everybody went to Paris to talk about Libya and
Gaddafi," N'Dour told the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14825393

8 September 2011 Last updated at 05:56 ET

Somalia famine: Youssou N'Dour attacks Africa response

By Will Ross BBC News, Nairobi

The Senegalese musician Youssou N'Dour has condemned African leaders'
response to famine in Somalia.

N'Dour, a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Children's Fund,
visited the Dadaab camps in Kenya which are now home to more than 400,000
Somali refugees.

Last month the African Union (AU) called a summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia,
to raise money for the drought victims. First it was postponed and then less
than half the countries were represented.

"They didn't go to Addis. But then the next week [French President Nicolas]
Sarkozy called them and everybody went to Paris to talk about Libya and
Gaddafi," N'Dour told the BBC.

"What we are talking about is life. It is more important to the world than
the war in Libya."

The UN says the famine is spreading in Somalia and now more than half the
population is in crisis after the worst harvest in 17 years.
At the AU summit $51m (£32m) was pledged, although the AU commissioner Jean
Ping tried to make the figure look respectable by including $300 million
from the African Development Bank - not a new pledge.

"The African Union and the Famine - Look The Other Way," was the headline in
The Economist which concluded that the AU had dismally failed to help the
continent's starving people.

"Africans are not really leading the way. The leaders live very expensive
lives. They need more money for them and more power for them. They think
about themselves and they forget about the rest of the country," N'Dour
said.

"It is a disaster. We have to denounce this situation to have a new
initiative and have a different voice from Africa."

According to the Food Security and Analysis Unit for Somalia, hundreds of
people are dying every day in the south of the country due to the famine -
at least half of these are children.

The UN is asking for $1.1bn for Somalia. $630 million has been donated so
far.
Fundraising concert

After visiting the Dadaab camps, the world famous musician told the BBC that
the situation was "very terrible".
 "I was very touched by the number of people and the way they were waiting
for food. I feel their dignity was affected. I couldn't look at them
directly because of the situation they were in," he said.

"I think people know exactly what the situation is now but we need more
support. This is why we are trying mobilise the world especially artists,
sports people, Africans."

N'Dour says he is trying to organise a fundraising concert.

"It will not be in Paris or London but for the first time here in Africa and
we will invite people to come here."

In spite of the difficult situation, the Senegalese musician also saw hope
when he visited a school.

"There was this little girl singing about the future of Africa. I was very
touched by her voice, her words, her inspiration, her vision - it was a song
about a better Africa. I am dreaming one day of seeing her in a better
place."