[dehai-news] (Daily Monitor, Uganda) Ugandan firms seek trade ties with Eritrea

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 11:21:09 EDT

http://www.monitor.co.ug/Business/Commodities/-/688610/1220698/-/view/printVersion/-/isjkmwz/-/index.html

Ugandan firms seek trade ties with Eritrea
 By Faridah Kulabako

Posted Thursday, August 18 2011 at 00:00

 *Kampala *

Local drug manufacturer Quality Chemicals and Sameer, a milk processing firm
have asked the Eritrean President to initiate trade relations between the
two countries. The move if realised will allow for the exportation of the
firm’s products to the Horn of Africa country.

President Isaias Afwerki who arrived in the country on Tuesday was yesterday
touring the two industries as part of his three-day state visit activities.

Donor dependence
Quality Chemicals Managing Director Emmanuel Katongole said a partnership
would liberate the countries from dependence on donor aid.

The facility is dedicated to manufacturing HIV/Aids and malaria drugs to
mitigate the effects of the two biggest killer diseases in Sub-Saharan
Africa. The plant produces two million tablets in a single shift and about
600 million tablets everyday.

Mr Afwerki, whose country has 1 per cent HIV/Aids prevalence, said that
Eritrea would import as many tablets as it needs. Eritrea manufactures its
own antimalarial drugs and antibiotics to facilitate its free healthcare
service provision programme.

*Human capital *
“Human capital is our biggest endowment and we ensure that we offer free
treatment,” he said. Mr A. Gagar, managing director, Sameer Kenya operations
said that Eritrea is one of the target markets for the firm to export its
products as it explores new opportunities on the continent.

The country exports to the EAC countries, South Sudan, Democratic Republic
of Congo, Ethiopia, and Dubai
The plant has capacity to process 500,000 litres of milk daily but is
currently processing 145, 000 litres due to supply inefficiencies.

President Afwerki said he would consider extending an invitation to the firm
to compete with local dairy processors.
Private Sector Foundation Executive Director Gideon Badagawa told Daily
Monitor that Uganda’s increased trade relations with other countries would
result into increased exports to foreign exchange to ease the current
pressure on the local currency.

“The shilling is too weak because we export less and import more. Increasing
exports will save our currency,” Mr Badagawa said in a telephone
conversation