[dehai-news] (New Vision, Uganda) Museveni, Afwerki discuss regional stability

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2011 - 10:55:09 EDT

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/12/762839
  Museveni, Afwerki discuss regional stability Tuesday, 16th August, 2011

*By Vision Reporter*

PRESIDENT Isaias Afwerki of Eritrea has described his visit to Uganda as a
historical opportunity to exchange views on various timely issues with his
counterpart Yoweri Museveni.

Eritrea is one of the strategically vital countries to the stability of the
region especially in the Horn of Africa and the wider global agenda

President Afwerki is on a three day state visit to Uganda. Afwerki called
for a more regular mechanism that allows for more communication exchanges
among leaders in the region as part of strengthening strong bilateral ties
and establishing areas of realistic coordination.�This engagement will be
more frequent when we see the outcome of our delegations memorandums,� he
said.

He was received at State House in Entebbe by Museveni before inspecting a
guard of honour mounted by officers and men of the Uganda Peoples Defense
Forces (UPDF) and received a 21 gun salute.

�It is an opportunity to come back home again, it is a good feeling. We have
only dealt with a few issues and I hope we shall have time to exhaust all
the issues. I have learnt a lot from President Museveni and I will listen to
him and come to understand of regional issues,� he said. The two presidents
last met three years ago in Masawa in Eritrea.

The two presidents held a bilateral meeting shortly after holding tete a
tete closed door meeting.

�We have held a good discussion which we have not finished. We shall have
more time for more conclusions. We discussed strategic and political issues
in the region and our ministers are developing various bilateral agreements.
Apart from the political and security issues, there are other issues of
cooperation in the region including in trade, exchange in education,
regional flights etc,� he said.

President Afwerki will later today be hosted to a state banquet at State
House in Entebbe. During his visit, he will tour the Quality Chemicals
Industry in Luzira and the Diary Corporation factory in Bugolobi before
meeting with the Eritrean Community resident in Uganda.