[dehai-news] (corrected) A successful Eritrean family day in a tense city

From: dan e (eritreawi100@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2011 - 17:17:54 EDT

A successful Eritrean family day in a tense city
Saturday, 13, August 2011

https://picasaweb.google.com/101317998379401773028/NorthLondonPFDJSportsDay?authuser=0&feat=directlink

The Eritrean sports and family day went ahead successfully and safely in London on Saturday, 13, August 2011. Hundreds of Eritrean families took part in the event that was organized by North London chapter of PFDJ with active role of YPFDJ members in the area. The event consisted of several programs including football games, athletics competitions, traditional games, face painting, drawings, entertaining live magic show and other children’s activities.

In addition of the formal sports programs and children’s activities, the second aspect of the day was for all Eritrean families to get together and enjoy a day out. Families were encouraged to bring their own food and it turned out this was a great display of Eritrean culture of having  meal as family together  in this occasion it has been all Eritreans sharing meals as one family - reflecting the theme of the event.

Having been in a city that has been going through mayhem and chaotic scenery that resembles a war zone - the sense of calm, the great atmosphere with people of all ages interacting and enjoying themselves and the beautiful scenery that exist in the stadium- was a very striking contrast.

This event was a huge undertaking for the chapter, however, due to a proper preparation where the older and youth members of PFDJ working together and mobilizing many Eritreans residing in North London who helped out, it was carried out efficiently and with no difficulty.

Pointing out the objective of the event, the Chairman of the North London PFDJ chapter, Mr Yousuf  Beshir, said “The objective of this event is to bring all Eritrean families together and this day was another great expression of our unity and strength to over come the challenges we face in the current times of  our national defiance (mekete), and the need for this kinds of event which will help us to overcome the problems we face in this country. Together with our youth and people who live in our area, we hope to do more of these kinds of events.

Dr. Bereket Fessehatzion, who chaired the organizing committee of the chapter (gujile) until last few days of his departure to Eritrea, also phoned on the day to express his best wishes.
A very positive feedback was given from many parents and children who also highlighted the need for social and cultural events. The special medals and big trophies ingrained with Eritrean emblem and titled “Eritrean Sports Day 13/08/11- Organised by North London PFDJ” were received by observers and the players. Warsa youth club as well as and teams as well as individuals athletes showed great skills on the day, gaining the admiration of many.

The winning teams and individuals were presented with the medals and trophies, which was handed out by Suleman Nur Hassen, Consular affair, from the embassy of Eritrea in London.