[dehai-news] (USUN) Remarks by Ambassador Susan E. Rice at the UN Security Council Stakeout on Somalia, Syria, Eritrea, and Sudan

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2011 - 18:36:10 EDT

http://usun.state.gov/briefing/statements/2011/170336.htm

Remarks by Ambassador Susan E. Rice at the UN Security Council Stakeout on
Somalia, Syria, Eritrea, and Sudan

 Susan E. Rice
U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations
U.S. Mission to the United Nations
New York, NY
August 10, 2011

------------------------------

 *Ambassador Rice*: Just wanted to say a few things on the briefing today.
This morning we had a very important briefing from SRSG Mahiga on Somalia.
Also, a very disturbing humanitarian update from Catherine Bragg, of OCHA,
and we are in the process of continuing that discussion behind closed doors
in the Council consultations room. The United States underscored our strong
support for the work of SRSG Mahiga, for the good work of AMISOM. And we’re
also very much committed to the Kampala Accord and its successful
implementation. And we’re looking to the TFIs to ensure that they meet their
commitments by August of 2012.

On the humanitarian side, the United States is deeply, deeply concerned
about the rapidly deteriorating situation. We heard today from Catherine
Bragg that things are even more dire than when she last briefed last month.
The United States remains the largest donor of bilateral assistance to the
Horn of Africa emergency. We provided over 560 million dollars—565 million
dollars—this fiscal year alone, including an additional 105 million
announced by the President earlier this week. And we will continue to be as
active as we possibly can in support of the people of Somalia and the
region. And we will also continue to encourage maximal international support
for what is the worst famine and humanitarian crisis to strike Africa in 60
years, with some over 12 million people in Somalia and the region at
immediate risk. So, this is one, as you have heard my President, Secretary
of State, Dr. Jill Biden, and so many others say, that requires the full and
immediate support and attention of the entire international community.

This afternoon, as you know, we will talk about Syria again. This is a
follow on to the Presidential statement that we adopted last week, which was
a clear and strong condemnation of the violence being perpetrated by the
Assad regime. We think that violence has to stop. We are mindful of the fact
and encouraged by the fact that there’s now a growing chorus of
international condemnation—the Security Council spoke last week, we have
seen important statements from the GCC, from the Arab League, from King
Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. We’ve seen steps by Kuwait and Bahrain and Saudi
Arabia to withdraw their Ambassadors, and we also have seen a very strong
message that Turkey has delivered in the person of the Foreign Minister,
most recently yesterday. And we hope very much that the delegation that’s
being sent by the IBSA countries will echo that very strong message that the
violence has to stop—they need to pull back into barracks and be credible
about this reform process, which, to date, they have absolutely failed to
do. From the United States’ point of view, we’re going to continue and
intensify our pressure both through our national actions and additional
sanctions, as well as coordinated efforts with other partners here in New
York and around the world.

Let me say one other thing before I take a couple of questions. I’m pleased
to announce today that Ambassador Jeff DeLaurentis has joined—rejoined, in
fact—our mission as our Ambassador for special political affairs—in other
words, our Security Council Ambassador. Some of you may remember him from
his distinguished tenure as our political coordinator. He comes to us from
the State Department, where he was most recently the Deputy Assistant
Secretary in the Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs.

Yes?

*Reporter*: (inaudible) I’d like to ask you your opinion about this idea
(inaudible) have been voted such as appointing Special Representative of the
SG to Syria? The other one is making Syria an item on the agenda, instead of
discussing it under the Middle East? And also presenting an invitation to
Navi Pillay to brief the Council?

*Ambassador Rice*: We’re attracted to all those steps and other like steps
that would elevate the profile of Syria on the Council agenda and bring the
needed attention to this crisis that we think is long overdue. So we are
working with partners on the Council on a range of ideas—among those, the
ones you mentioned.

*Reporter*: What do you hope to achieve from bringing Navi Pillay over here?
I mean, we know that a vote to establish a committee—a fact-finding
committee—that Syria hasn’t allowed them to go in, that Syria still stops
all the humanitarian aid workers to enter…what do you hope to achieve?

*Ambassador Rice*: Let me be plain. From the United States point of view we
always welcome timely reporting to the Council by the High Commissioner for
Human Rights on all sorts of topics of concern. Now, foremost, at the
present, is, of course, the situation in Syria. And we’re frustrated that
the Commission of Inquiry that was mandated by the Human Rights Council has
been unable to do its work. That was a message that we tried to underscore
in our Presidential statement last week. And we would certainly welcome Navi
Pillay’s input and perspective to inform our deliberations in the Council.

*Reporter*: Given that fact that President Assad doesn’t seem to have
reacted to Presidential statement (inaudible)…Do you think there is a move
in the Council for branching out pressure and taking additional steps
(inaudible)… is the United States taking steps that they’re trying to get
other Council members to take?

*Ambassador Rice*: Well, the United States acts both in the context of the
Security Council and in our bilateral and other regional relationships. So
we are working across the board to underscore that the behavior of Assad is
absolutely unacceptable, he has lost any legitimacy to lead and we think it
is past—it would be much, much better for the people of Syria, and Syria
would be better off, without Assad. And we are looking to the future and
looking to lend support to the people of Syria who have the same aspirations
for freedom and democracy that we’ve seen in so many other parts of the
world. So we’ll continue our discussions and our efforts here in New York as
well as elsewhere.

I am not… I am loath to predict how exactly the Council may respond in the
future. I think Council members have been moved by what they have seen of
late, in the intensifying and horrific violence against civilians. But we’ve
also been frustrated, quite candidly, that it has taken the Council as long
as it has to be able to speak with one voice. And we think that it’s past
time for all Council members to put the interests of the Syrian people,
rather than particular bilateral issues or interests, at the forefront of
their action, and for the Council to continue, as it did last week, with our
strong support to deliver a very strong message that what is happening in
Syria is unacceptable and it needs to be stopped.

*Reporter*: (inaudible)

*Ambassador Rice*: We’ve been very clear that, as I said, that Syria, in our
judgment, would be better off without Assad, and that he’s lost his
legitimacy. But beyond that I don’t have anything to add.

*Reporter*: (inaudible)…saying to President Assad…to step down? Are you
calling on President Assad to step down?

*Ambassador Rice*: What I’m saying is that, in the view of the United
States, he has lost his legitimacy to rule and Syria would be a better place
without him.

*Reporter*: (inaudible)…my question actually…about the…Security Council…the
message…is that the idea…action by the ICC for example? What action do you
have in mind…what options?

*Ambassador Rice*: Well, that is a potential avenue, but, as you know, that
requires the full support of the Council. And I think if we were talking
about whether that would be forthcoming today, I would have to say, quite
candidly, I doubt it. But there are other avenues, there are other
investigations, there’s the one we’ve just discussed with the Human Rights
Council. And certainly, from the United States point of view, and that of
others, to the extent that we have evidence of crimes we would share that
quite readily with any in a position to investigate.

*Reporter*: On Somalia, it is said that the U.S. is seeking additional
sanctions against Eritrea. Is that true? And if so, why? And on human rights
reporting, are you frustrated that the South Kordofan human rights report
hasn’t yet been released by the UN? And what should the UN be doing about
those people in South Kordofan?

*Ambassador Rice*: The United States is very, very concerned about Eritrea’s
behavior in the region. Its support for Al-Shabaab, its support to
destabilize its neighbors is documented quite thoroughly and persuasively in
the report of the special panel. We heard during the session last month from
virtually all of Eritrea’s neighbors that they face a pattern of
destabilization that is quite troubling and quite disturbing. Moreover,
we’re profoundly troubled and we have clearly condemned the support that
Eritrea lent to the terrorist attack that was planned for—to coincide with
the African Union summit last January in Addis Ababa. We think that’s an
absolutely abhorrent development, and we think it merits the full attention
of the Council. Yes, the United States is very much interested in additional
pressure and sanctions being applied on Eritrea. This is something that
we’ll continue to discuss and debate in the Security Council. But from the
U.S. point of view, we think that that is timely.

*Reporter*: …is there a famine in Eritrea? The idea of imposing sanctions …

*Ambassador Rice*: Well, first of all, any measures to be contemplated would
be carefully targeted and would not go in any way to harm the people of
Eritrea, who are suffering enough as it is. We believe there is a famine in
Eritrea, but we’re deeply concerned that none of us know because they have
barred UN agencies, barred NGOs. It has become a black hole in terms of
governance and humanitarian ground truth. And the people of Eritrea, who
must…most likely are suffering the very same food shortages that we’re
seeing throughout the region are being left to starve because there is not
access, there’s a clear cut denial of access by the government of Eritrea of
food and other humanitarian support for its people. Thank you.

On Kordofan, let me just say—yes, we’re looking forward to the release of
the report that we requested back in June. We think that it’s important for
the United Nations—whether it’s through its dwindling presence on the ground
or through the human rights agencies and authorities—to give us, the member
states, as clear a picture as they can of the unfolding humanitarian
circumstances in Southern Kordafan, and to provide insight and investigate
the allegations of abuses.

Thank you.