[dehai-news] Timesofmalta.com: Ashih's widow thanks Maltese for their concern and generosity

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2011 - 12:35:48 EDT

Ashih's widow thanks Maltese for their concern and generosity

Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 17:27

·

A total €8,070.58 have been received through bank donations and cheques for Ashih Tekleab Haile's widow and family.

Eritrean refugee Ashih lost his life rescuing another man from drowning on July 20.

The Jesuit Refugee Service said in a statement the funds collected through will go to help Ashih's family, who are in need.

"On my own behalf and on behalf of my husband's family in Eritrea, I would like to thank all those who visited me and sought to comfort me in this very sad and trying moment," Ashih's widow Selemawit Hagus said.

"Although it will be very difficult to think of a future without my husband, I am infinitely grateful to all who expressed solidarity and encouragement by posting comments on newspaper websites and on Facebook, to the owner and staff of the Paradise Bay Hotel, to the civil authorities and the Emigrants' Commission who saw to the repatriation of his body to Eritrea, to all who contributed financially and generously to the fundraising appeal, to the sensitive and caring reporting by different media organisations, as well to all those who in one way or another took to heart the tragedy I have been through," she added.

Mrs Selemawit said: "Now that Ashih's body has been laid to rest in his homeland, I wish that the concern and care that so many people of all walks of life have shown me in the past two weeks will be continue to be a source of blessing for all people in Malta."

Gratitude was also expressed by the Eritrean community in Malta.

http://c257.r57.cf3.rackcdn.com/3d36e74a157298d0989ee5758c546711506815872-1312903704-4e415218-620x348.jpg

image001.jpg