[dehai-news] (AFP) Uganda 'may be next' to face severe drought: FAO

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2011 - 08:41:18 EDT

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/uganda-may-next-face-severe-drought-fao-100617404.html
 Uganda 'may be next' to face severe drought: FAO
<http://www.afp.com/>AFP – August 2, 2011

Uganda may become the next country to fall victim to severe food shortages
due to drought already seen in other Horn of Africa states, the UN food
agency warned Tuesday.

"We have started to monitor the situation in Uganda where we are also seeing
pockets of food insecurity affected by the same drought conditions," said a
spokeswoman for the Food and Agriculture Organisation.

"Uganda may be the next country hit with these same sort of alarming
malnutrition and drought conditions," she added.

In July, the UN declared a famine in two regions in Somalia and has
estimated that millions of people in Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti needed
urgent aid as livestock and crops were wiped out by severe drought.