[dehai-news] (VOA News) Eritrea Unaffected by Drought, Famine, Says Asmara Official

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Jul 28 2011 - 20:24:00 EDT

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Eritrea-Unaffected-by-Drought-Famine-Says-Asmara-Official--126357103.html
July 28, 2011
Eritrea Unaffected by Drought, Famine, Says Asmara Official

Peter Clottey

A political advisor to Eritrea President Isaias Afewerki says Asmara has
implemented measures to ensure that citizens are unharmed by the effects of
drought and famine in the Horn of Africa region.

Yemane Ghebreab denied reports that a food crisis is forcing Eritreans to
flee to neighboring countries.

“There [are] no food shortages in Eritrea at the present time. Last year, we
had a bumper harvest. We have also built up our reserves in terms of food
stocks by importing food, so we will be ready for any emergency,” said
Ghebreab.

His comments came after U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African
Affairs Johnnie Carson was quoted as saying* “*Eritrea is a closed and
increasingly reclusive country, and its government has not been particularly
helpful in sharing data and information about the severity of the food
shortages or the drought in its country.”

Carson also encouraged Eritrea to be open about the needs of its population.

“Because it is a part of the greater Horn of Africa, we assume that
conditions in Eritrea are probably quite similar to the drought conditions
that we are seeing in other places – in Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti and
Somalia. Because we don’t know what’s happening, our understanding of the
situation is limited, but we encourage them to be more open about their
needs and the needs of their population.”

But, Ghebreab said Asmara does not seek international charity, but rather
partnerships that would benefit Eritreans.

“What Eritrea seeks is not a food handout. This has been our policy for many
years. What we want is trade and investment,” said Ghebreab.

He insisted Eritrea is not experiencing a severe drought, but conceded that
Asmara might coordinate with aid groups if drought or famine management
“goes beyond our means.”

“So far, the situation is normal, and we believe we can manage with our own
resources,” said Ghebreab.