[dehai-news] (AFP) UN calls for long-term solution to Ethiopia's drought crisis

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2011 - 16:51:59 EDT

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iiEEw7nCEgfxU4ET8iNZA435n6Kw?docId=CNG.40796eb89800e61ae1113ff7bcdc94d6.851
UN calls for long-term solution to Ethiopia's drought crisis

(AFP) – 57 minutes ago

ADDIS ABABA — The UN's emergency relief coordinator on Saturday called for
long-term solutions to curb the effects of a severe drought in Ethiopia.

"We need to plan for the long term to help people rebuild their communities
when the situation improves," Valerie Amos told reporters in Addis Ababa.

She cited better access to water, health care and education as key after
spending the day in Ethiopia's Somali region, one of the worst-affected
areas of the country.

The UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief
coordinator emphasized the need for improved security in drought-affected
regions so relief agencies can reach vulnerable populations.

She met with Ethiopia's Deputy Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn to draw
up a plan to ensure access to the country's most volatile areas. In June,
two World Food Program workers were detained for over a month in Somali
region, also known as Ogaden.

The UN emergency relief agency reports 3.2 million people in Ethiopia depend
on food assistance.

The Horn of Africa is currently facing the most severe drought in 60 years,
according to the UN, affecting more than 10 million people.

The relief agency will also attempt to provide emergency aid in Somalia
after Shebab Islamists announced they would allow access to humanitarian
agencies.

"(That) is something we have to test to see whether we will be able to
deliver that urgently needed aid into Somalia itself," Amos said.

The drought in Ethiopia is not only affecting crops, but is forcing
pastoralists from their communities in search of water.

"Everyone I met spoke of the lack of water and the impact it is having on
their day-to-day lives. Their very way of life is at risk," Amos said.

The UN and other relief agencies are struggling to respond to the crisis in
light of funding shortfalls and called on the international community for
increased aid.

Ethiopia has received $234.4 million to address the crisis, only 77 percent
of the amount required, according to the UN.