[dehai-news] (Xinhua) Sudanese president warns south Sudan against intervening in north's affairs

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2011 - 08:35:20 EDT

 http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90777/90855/7433630.html
Sudanese president warns south Sudan against intervening in north's affairs
09:44, July 08, 2011 Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on Thursday warned
south Sudan, which is preparing to be independent on July 9, against
intervening in north Sudan's affairs.

"We say to our brothers in south Sudan that we will not intervene in your
internal affairs and we will never accept your interference in our affairs,"
said al-Bashir at a gathering in al-Duwaim town in White Nile State, aired
live by official Sudan TV Thursday.

"We want safe neighborhood, opened roads and normal movement of the citizens
of the two countries. We want to cooperate. We want a stable and safe state
in the south," he added.

The Sudanese president reiterated his country's desire to provide the
necessary support for south Sudan to enable it to establish a strong state,
saying that "we will go to Juba on behalf of the Sudanese people, to
congratulate them on their state and wish them success."

On Jan. 9, 2011, a referendum on self-determination for south Sudan was
conducted in which around 98 percent of the southerners voted for
independence.

However, there are still outstanding disputable issues between north and
south Sudan including the Abyei issue, the border demarcation, the oil
revenues, the nationality, external debts and water resources.

The Sudanese peace partners, the National Congress Party ( NCP) in the north
and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) in the south, on Monday
signed an agreement to withdraw all military forces from the country's
disputed oil-rich area of Abyei.

The two sides, during their negotiations in Ethiopian capital of Addis
Ababa, agreed on deployment of an Ethiopian force in Abyei according to the
agreement signed between them, provided that the Ethiopian force should not
be under the command of the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS).

The two sides further agreed to establish a buffer zone on their border,
provided that an Ethiopian military force would be tasked with monitoring
the buffer zone.

South Sudan is expected to officially declare its independence on July 9
according to the results of the referendum on self-determination.

*Source:Xinhua*