[dehai-news] (MoI, Eritrea) Foreign Ministry Spokesman Dismisses Anti-Eritrea Allegations Regarding Self-Proclaimed “Monitoring Group” As Pure Lies

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 12:45:05 EDT

http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/6181-foreign-ministry-spokesman-dismisses-anti-eritrea-allegations-regarding-self-proclaimed-monitoring-group-as-pure-lies

 Foreign Ministry Spokesman Dismisses Anti-Eritrea Allegations Regarding
Self-Proclaimed “Monitoring Group” As Pure Lies
Asmara, 29 June 2011 – A spokesman of the Eritrean Foreign Ministry said
that futile attempts on the part of the self-proclaimed so-called
‘monitoring group’ to gather allegations towards accusing Eritrea are but
pure lies similar to the fairy tale of weapons of mass destruction.

In a statement he gave to ERINA, the spokesman indicated that in
continuation of the dissemination of pure lies, the so-called group has
concocted baseless allegations claiming that ‘it has intercepted a ship
ordered by Eritrea to transport arms shipment worth over 20 million dollars
from North Korea to Al-Shebab; it has seized a vehicle of the Eritrean
Embassy in Kenya while transporting military hardware to Al-Shebab.’ In this
connection, he explained that such an act of mockery constitutes an insult
to the intelligence of the world public, and as such has no acceptance at
all.

The spokesman further noted that although various gimmicks were applied to
disseminate such lies with intensity in media outlets, no media organization
gave any coverage to the allegations. In this regard, he stressed the need
for verifying the source and intention of such ‘information’, as well as
‘evidence’ and ‘footages’ before disseminating these kinds of sheer lies.
In this respect, the spokesman recalled the unfounded lies alleging that
‘Eritrea deployed 2,000 soldiers in Somalia; a plane loaded with arms
arrived in Mogadishu…’ that were in due course laid bare.

Noting that the so-called monitoring group is but an illegal entity which is
engaged in gathering concocted lies in a bid to justify its vicious acts,
the spokesman called on the party that instructed the ‘group’ to demonstrate
courage about justice and appear in front of a free and legal forum face to
face with the ‘accuser’ and the accused, instead of fabricating utter lies.

In this regard, the Foreign Ministry spokesman made reference to President
Isaias Afwerki’s speech on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of
Independence Day:

“As we celebrate the 20th anniversary of Independence Day, it is quite in
order to underline that nobody stands to be misled by the cheap propaganda
ploys employed by the aforementioned quarters that have been engaging in
persistent futile attempts to derail us from the border issue. Moreover, our
staunch resistance to continued military and economic conspiracy, and the
fact that our people’s forward march to a bright future remains on course,
coupled with our robust national resolve, would certainly deal a stunning
blow to any and all enemy conspiracies designed to derail us from the border
issue through engaging in meaningless diversionary squabbles.

If the issues of Somalia, terrorism, piracy, as well as acts of subversion
and instability in the Horn region etc. are matters of concern to the
Security Council, then each and every issue should be examined thoroughly
and seriously by an independent and impartial body in a transparent
manner. They should not be intermingled and lumped together in order to
sow confusion. The findings should be adjudicated in an independent body
that has the requisite jurisdiction and in which truth would not be
compromised. By the same token, if the Security Council maintains that it
has moral and legal obligation to look into these matters, it should not
accommodate the whims and deceitful accusations of those bent on trampling
justice. The Security Council must address and bring to an end the
occupation of our sovereign territories for the past nine years in violation
of the rule of law. Indeed, after repetitive deceits, it is too late in the
day for anyone to be hoodwinked by the lies of “weapons of mass
destruction”.

In this regard, the spokesman underscored that the secrete documents being
recently leaked by Wikileaks fully attest to the statements of the Eritrean
government both in letter and spirit.

The US representative in Eritrea was quoted as saying: “Our anti-Eritrea
statement concerning Somalia is not becoming acceptable. Some western
Ambassadors have even tried to bring to my attention the assumption that it
has no truth. Hence, we should try to employ other means like spreading
allegations using hired individuals. However, if we failed to succeed, and
if it is exposed that Eritrea has become a victim, Isaias [he did not even
refer to him as President] would enjoy even more popular support and
Eritreans would remain united under their flag and Isaias. And this would
pose us obstacle.”

These are some of the documents leaked recently by Wikileaks.