[dehai-news] Magnificent Action Day in London UK

From: Yared Tesfay (ytmn2@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2010 - 09:37:42 EST

Magnificent Action Day in London UKwww.eritreacompass.comEritreaCompass.com Spearheading the Virtual Revolution for Eritrea

Action Month, which is running between 20th November to 20th December is the
battle Eritrean’s are having to fight in order to have their international
rights restored back for Eritrea and it’s people. 15th December is being
considered as the main day for the demonstration to happen. London had been
split into four regions of North, South, East and West. Within South London the
location is Laryn’s Cafe, with Eritrean flags draped outside it is not hard to
mistake where the proud Eritreans are working hard to vocally be heard.

As you walk into the cafe all you can hear is fingers typing away and angry
voices over the phone all disputing about the decision for the UN to keep the
sanction in place. Kids came pouring in at 3 o’clock still in their school
uniforms to show their support and do what they can to help. Many of the youth
had donated their time and knowledge to process the petition working endless
from the morning until late hours to make sure everything was completed and
nothing was forgotten. One of the youths working explained “I went to the
demonstration in Switzerland at the beginning of the year and I am here today
and I will be here every time without fail. They need to know we did nothing to
be ashamed of, so why should we back down. We are going keep demonstrating again
and again until they get the message because we have heard their message and we
disagree”. Some people that called the Barack Obama office were outraged when
they explained the situation to the secretary and were greeted with responds
that included “where is Eritrea?” and “the President is busy”.

While others were told to present their questions via email, fax and post to
which they proceeded to do. While others explained “these demonstrations are to
show people that this is a clear message we are sending to the world, we are
united everywhere we are. This united front we are presenting is not necessarily
to stop what is happening but to show we have a strong community and we are not
backing down.”

Yonas  Ghebregheryis explained “it’s important because it has been a year, and
nothing has been done. The atmosphere here in the cafe is great. Even if nothing
changes in terms of the UN’s decision it still shows the world we are one people
and we will be heard.”

While Yordanos Tewelde stated that “this is all part of a progress, the sanction
are not a separate factor and it’s based on unfair decisions. The aim of this
campaign is to make people more aware of the situation. Many people are not
aware of what is happening.”

Eden Zekarias on her part explained “we are waiting for a solid reason as to why
the sanctions were originally placed because so far there is no evidence but
they are still punishing us. America and the other Western countries help each
other out in times of need, so why can’t we do the same for our neighbouring
countries who we consider to be our brothers and sisters. This cause is very
important to me because this is not just any country this is my country, my
people and my identity and without it I don’t know who I would be without it.”

Women continued to bring food and refreshments throughout the day and just like
the Eritrean way of not taking no for an answer when it comes to offering food,
all the food was disputed.

Many people were more than delighted with the outcome of the turnout and
anticipated a positive answer, which they received half way through the day.
When word got back saying that the White House were overwhelmed by the phone
calls, emails, faxes and didn’t know how to handle the situation.  Once the
announcement was made there was a great sound of cheer as people stared
clapping, excited and thrilled at the news that all their hard work was
amounting to having an impact.

As the older generation helped out they gave their opinions about how they felt
about the work that was being accomplished in the cafe. “Other countries have
wealth and power but they don’t have what we as Eritreans have which is Love for
one another and as a result of this we are able to come together when necessary.
Other countries don’t have that unity because when their country is in crisis
they don’t all come together in order to help each other. Although it is winter
we are still going out in the cold weather and trying to get as many people to
sign as possible because this is for our nation.  It is amazing to see all the
youth here today but they need to encourage more of them to come. They need to
understand that they are the future and without their hard work then our country
has no future and they need to learn patronage for their country.”

The message about action day is being set ablaze everywhere across the internet
from news sites to social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter & Youtube,
everyone’s message is the same “get out and make your voice heard today.” The
dedication didn’t just happen starting today, it’s been happening throughout the
month and some people have even been coming pass during the week to make sure
they knew where to come on the 15th December, so they won’t waste time on the
day.

The great result achieved from South London only was a total of 3136 complaints
against the UNjust sanctions, the complaints were made to the Secretary General
of the UN and President Barrak Obama via combination of fax, email and
telephone.

The 15th December has not only become an opportunity to stand our rights but a
chance to stand them together as everyone unities in order to share the
responsibility amongst each other and there’s a sense of pride filling the air.
If nothing else is accomplished today, we can say that at least it helped
educate the youth and encouraged them to fight for what they believe in.

The night was sealed off with a group dinner and celebration accompanied with
our famous Eritrean Guyla.

Victory to the Eritrean Youth Movement & Victory to the Masses

Nikhid Tray…

ECCC Information & Communication 15-12-2010 London UK