[dehai-news] Asmara A City in Peace.

From: Aman B (shida11a@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 21 2010 - 17:17:33 EST

                          AsmaraA City in Peace.   Brhane Woldu Asmara; the spring time sun was setting behind Asmara Cathedral, and a massive shadow spread engulfing the plaza. Snaking through the crowd, I found myself searching every face that passed; wandering how people navigate Asmara. I have wandered around the streets of different cities in many Countries, handled money to beggars, leapers and engaged prostitutes. Asmara the capital city of Eritrea is much different; it’s clean, peaceful, no beggars, leapers and prostitutes.    The city is always in peace, people are very helpful they converse at ease, eat and drink with you. One can go to the café and sit with a total stranger and come out of the café as friends. You do not see that “me’’ personality of the West or the cold introvert personality of a Swedish. The religious holydays are celebrated with fun fair. On a Palm Sunday, I was astonished to see an older Moslem gentleman ask a young boy who is Christian to hand him a Palm Sunday leaf. The older Moslem man took the leaf in both hands prayed, kissed it, put it against his forehead and hand it back to the young boy.   In Asmara it is hard to differentiate between the have and have not. It seems that everyone has enough, you go to the restaurants cafes and hotels you see all kind of people young, middle-aged and old, you also see few non-Eritreans as well. It is very hard for one to know if there is any so called upper-class or privileged people in Asmara. It is common to see the president of the country to be driven around the city with no motorcade, just him and his driver sitting in the front seat of a four-wheel drive. I was surprised to see the presidents’ wife and different cabinet ministers walk the streets of Asmara as any regular person.   Dining in Asmara is much fun; if you go to the five star hotels like Asmara palace things can be expensive. There are other nice hotels such as the Median, Bologna, Expo and Lion hotel; clean, good food and very pleasant service. One can also go to the medium size restaurants such as the Bluebird, Milano, Langano and many more abundantly located allover town. These restaurants are always ready to serve you the best food for reasonable price. If I have to complain about these restaurants, it will be the toilets, there is much to be desired. If one wants to eat inexpensive but good food with no fancy plate there are plenty of places to go my favorite areas are Hiwet restaurant “Enda Lakha” and “Mana” restaurants near Asmara Mosque.   Few night clubs are available in town with easy access to them. The most I frequented being “Hidmona” it is located in the expo compound. Hidmona is very traditional in its settings as well as the music it presents, the only draw back is the music, it is limited to one of the Nationality that of Tigrgna. I for one would prefer having a mix of the different nationalities. The city bars are always full to capacity and it is normal for the bars to tell you that they have served and finished all the beer in the house (out of beer). People tell me that this is a trick to get people to consume more expensive and profitable drinks such as Scotch. Nevertheless, people do seem to enjoy passing time at the bar, hanging out with friends.   The city is quiet busy, you see people going in and out from small shops carrying bags. It seems everyone is concerned or tide up with themselves they do not pay attention to their surroundings. It is normal for one to pump into some one and just say sorry and keep going. You see people crossing the street without paying attention to traffic. People walk on the road and most unlikely to use the side walks. One wound wonder why the side walks were made. As inquisitive as I am, I asked why people don’t use the side walks. The answer I got from several people is that “During the Degre Marxsist Government people were avoiding the side walks due to harassments of armed soldiers who scared people away from the sidewalks.” It is amazing to see pedestrians; cyclist and motorist all use the road equally with so much respect for one another.   Driving in Asmara there is much to be desired. I am not sure why every driver thinks he or she has the right of way. Traffic rules are not respected no one stops on a stop sign, you see one make a right turn from the far left lane, drivers over passing  over triple cars, talking on their cell-phone while driving seems the norm and stopping for pedestrian is  unknown. The driver has the right of way over the pedestrian. One afternoon I was crossing a street on a zebra, a car came and would not yield for me. I told the driver that I had the right of way and he should have stopped; his answer to me was “That only happens overseas”. I took it he meant that in Asmara it is the driver who has the right of way.   The amazing thing is that all this happens in front of the traffic police. The traffic police usually park their motor cycle and are in deep conversation either among themselves or with the civilians who are hanging out. You don’t see any kind of police after dark. I have been to many different countries and cities and you see police minding traffic at all times, Asmara is the only city that I have not seen police in the PM hours. Even though Asmara is a safe city it will be good to see the police after dark. Asmara city could with no exaggeration collect a lot of money and add to its annual budget if the police were to enforce traffic law.   The evening hours are so much fun, the city streets are full of people, and the photo shops are full of young people taking pictures. There are more photo shops in the city of Asmara than any city I have been to. You see people walking the street of Asmara holding hands and young people come in and out of the internet cafes and many more people going to the movies, theaters and watch “Premium League” football on big screens at Cinema Roma. The cafes are full to capacity. The youth comes out in droves to have cappuccino, hot tea and pastry. The youth are so disciplined, well behaved that you see no problem. You do not see the youth fight, or skip without paying their bills. It is customary for the youth to assist the younger kids. The younger kids come to the cafes with their football uniforms and go around to solicit fund. I was surprised to see the youth reach into their pockets and give the younger kids money for their football team. There is so much affection and love that you see between the youth and the younger kids to one other that you barley see in the West. To me the harmony of the people, the love and respect they show to each other and most importantly the culture is the soul that many young Eritreans had referred to a faith in the justice of a higher power, and a religion of freedom and equality that is dramatically unseen to the Western Democracy and its elitist class system.