[dehai-news] (Responsiblevacations) World's leading travel agent for responsible vacations: Eritrea vacation

From: B-Haile (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2010 - 20:06:03 EST

Responsiblevacations.com

World's leading travel agent for responsible vacations

country: Eritrea

departures: 2011: 9 Apr, 16 Apr

price: From US $1,150 - US $1,210 (9 days) excluding flights

Click here to enquire or book http://www.responsiblevacation.com/enquiry/enquiry.asp?Source=trip&ProductIDs=T900884&Method=site

introduction to Eritrea vacation

Discover one of Africa's newest, least-visited nations

Relax in a café among Asmara's art deco architecture

Take a journey on an Italian-era steam train (optional)

Cultural Contrasts of Asmara

We begin our journey in Eritrea's striking and friendly capital. Set on a high fertile plateau with an almost perfect climate, Asmara, although undeniably African, has also retained its distinctly Italian feel; a very tangible legacy of its colonial days. It remained largely intact following the more recent struggles that have troubled the area and there is time here throughout our tour to explore the amazing Art Deco and Italian architecture, vibrant market, cathedral and mosques, as well as to relax with a cappuccino at one of the many cafes that dot the wide boulevards.

Keren & Debre Sina

Our first excursion is north through the highlands past steep terraces of coffee and orange groves to Keren, set on a plateau surrounded by dusty ochre mountains. One of Eritrea's most attractive towns, Keren is also the heart of Eritrea's agricultural community. We visit the lively Monday market, British and Italian War cemeteries and shrine of St. Mariam Dearit, unusually set into a baobab tree! On our way to Massawa we visit the 6th century Debre Sina Monastery.

Massawa & Nefasit steam train

Traveling via the tropical forest of Filfil, a dramatic drive down from the highlands takes us to the Arabic port of Massawa. Here we stroll among the many white Turkish, Egyptian and Italian buildings and through the maze of narrow alleyways to soak up the atmoshphere and maybe sample some the mouth-watering seafood available. On our return to Asmara there's the opportunity to take a unique journey on Eritrea's famous Italian-era steam train through the mountains between Asmara and Nefasit, covering over 20 tunnels and 65 bridges! We head south for our final excursion to discover the ruins of Qohaito, thought to date back 2000 years to the mysterious Axumite civilisation that once dominated the region.

day-by-day itinerary

Day 1: Join the tour in Asmara.

Day 2: Asmara Explore the art deco and Italian architecture, cafes and boulevards of Asmara before heading north to Keren.

Day 3: In Keren; visit camel market, local shrine and WWII cemetries.

Day 4: Tropical forest Traveling via Debra Sine monastery and the tropical forest of Filfil we descend to Eritrea's coast.

Day 5: Red Sea port We discover the Turkish, Italian and Egyptian influences at the eclectic port of Massawa.

Day 6: Steam Train On our return to Asmara there's the opportunity to take the famous Italian-era steam train from Nefasit, covering over 20 tunnels and 65 bridges!

Day 7-8: Adi Keyh We head south to discover the ruins of Qohaito, part of the once great Axumite civilisation

Day 9: Tour ends in Asmara

?

award winner

This tourism business won an Award in our 2008 Virgin Holidays Responsible Tourism Awards - organised by responsibletravel.com in association with The Daily Telegraph, World Travel Market, Geographical Magazine, of the Royal Geographical Society and BBC World News.

Since 2004, the Awards has recognised individuals, companies and organisations in travel making a big commitment to the culture and economies of local communities and helping to conserve biodiversity

how this vacation makes a difference

Read more http://www.responsiblevacation.com/Trip/Trip900884.htm