[dehai-news] Mothers for Mekhete

From: awetnayu@hotmail.com
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 13:53:11 EST

ERITREAN MOTHERS FOR MEKHETE --- (E-S M A R T)

Amanuel Biedemariam
On Saturday Nov 6, a group of women from Virginia held a fundraising dinner in the spirit of the “gedli era” when “drar tegadelti“was, “en vigueur” during the 1970s and l980s.” At that time the purpose was to help with the struggle effort by our finest, who gave their lives and limbs. And these mothers have decided to repeat that history but this time, against the UNjust UN Security Council Resolution that sanctioned Eritrea.

They formed “Adetat Virginia” group to contribute their share in the present ongoing noble effort by their Eritrean brothers, sisters, sons and daughters all over the world in the ongoing Mekete campaign. They later re-named themselves “Adetat Metropolitan DC” and expanded the size and scope of their participation. In addition to their Mekete endeavors, these mothers are determined to help Eritrean women in the medical arena. They are raising funds to purchase sonogram and monogram equipments to help Eritrean women fight cancer and other related women health issues by discovering them early.

Adetat Metropolitan DC fund-raising event was held this Saturday, and the donation was $100 per table and the ECCC in Washington DC was full to capacity. Each “ade” (mother) provided the food or drink for the night. The food was delicious. And unlike other similar events, where “kuda, sa’Es’Et “and music dominate, this event was a night of supreme cultural – a re-invigoration of our Eritrean heritage. Some of the participants read poetry, followed by quiz of vocabulary in the poem, and word quiz --- like when a bride turns her hair-do from “Game” to “Sadulla.” It was refreshing to see some of these mothers bring some Eritrean traditions to the young generation that may not have been exposed to them. Gifted poets and story tellers entertained the attendees with cultural folk tales and jokes. It was a night of laughter and humor which reminded the attendees that we have rich heritage worth preserving!

The event was a tremendous success and a beginning to a cause that needed much attention. Various businesses and individuals made generous contributions and collected donations of over $14,000. Adetat Virginia and all the mothers that have been conducting these fund raising events deserve kudos. This is evidence, as always, Eritrean women are the backbone of Eritrea and they are our leaders in ways that are subtle and effective. Eritrea is where it is today in large part because of the high level participation in all aspects of the Eritrean life by Eritrean women. For any nation to be successful women need to participate fully. In Eritrea women have made wonders unseen anywhere in the world making every day a women’s day and every day your day, Eritrean women’s day. We honor you! This event was an example of how Eritreans always take ownership of their challenges.
Congratulations “Adetat Metropolitan DC” and all the mothers. And good wishes from all of us for your next effort to form your “ADETAT METROPOLITAN DC AGAINST BREAST CANCER”.

Awtnayu@hotmail.com