[dehai-news] (USA Today) Meb Keflezighi returns to NYC Marathon as champion

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2010 - 19:52:16 EST

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2010-11-02-1995704861_x.htm

Meb Keflezighi returns to NYC Marathon as champion

By Rachel Cohen, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK — The reigning New York City Marathon champion boarded a
plane to come defend his title, and another passenger asked, "Are you
Meb Keflezighi?"

The first American man in 27 years to win the storied race is no
longer an anonymous U.S. distance runner.

"It's a year that changed my life," Keflezighi said Tuesday, back in
New York and suddenly the center of attention.

Before the 2009 marathon, Keflezighi flew in the Thursday of race week
and told his sponsors he needed to focus on his preparations.

"When you come back as a defending champion, you can't really isolate
yourself like that," Hawi Keflezighi, his brother and agent, said with
a smile.

So this time Keflezighi arrived Monday, nearly a week before Sunday's
race. Tuesday he held a news conference. Wednesday morning is a
breakfast appearance with a new sponsor, and there's an event that
night to launch his new charitable foundation.

All this hardly seemed possible when he stood at the starting line last Nov. 1.

"A year ago, I think a lot of people doubted that he would get back to
this level," Bob Larsen, his longtime coach, said.

Not after the stress fracture in his hip that Keflezighi once feared
would end his career.

Keflezighi had won silver at the Athens Olympics, the first American
man to medal in the marathon since 1976. He finished on the podium at
a major marathon three more times from 2004-06, but that was starting
to feel like a long time ago.

"Even watching it now a year later, I cry," Keflezighi said. "Because
when you really want something, you keep trying, you keep trying
<emdash /> second place, third place, ninth place. You say it seems so
far away. But you keep believing in what you're doing and you are
committed to it, and things will work out.

"It happens probably when you least expect it."

The offers started pouring in within hours of winning the race.
Reading the Top 10 list on the "Late Show with David Letterman."
Riding in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Keflezighi's medal at the 2004 Games had brought its share of fame and fortune.

"But winning, that No. 1 spot just takes it to the next level and
cements Meb's position in the running history," Hawi said.

And, Meb said, there's just something about winning in New York.

He hopes to reap the benefits for the rest of his career <emdash />
really, the rest of his life. In an individual sport like running,
athletes need sponsors to compete at the highest level. And as the
father of three young daughters, the 35-year-old Keflezighi can earn
the big checks from winning races for only so long.

"Especially winning the biggest marathon in the world, probably the
most televised and broadcast, and to be the first American in 27 years
to do so, I really think Meb has gotten a niche in the running
community even beyond when he's a runner," Hawi said. "Very few people
can do that. You can try to make as much money as possible as a
runner, but by winning the New York City Marathon, he's secured a role
for himself in the community."

He secured a book deal, too. "Run to Overcome" chronicles his family's
journey from war-torn Eritrea in East Africa to Italy to San Diego,
where Keflezighi took up running in junior high.

He went on to star at UCLA, which inducted him into its Athletic Hall
of Fame this year. Hawi, four years younger, followed him to UCLA,
where Meb helped him make the connections he needed to become a
manager for the men's basketball team.

Hawi later graduated from UCLA's law school, one of the long list of
degrees earned by the 11 siblings.

So Hawi watched Meb's victory last year as a proud brother <emdash />
and an excited agent.

"What do I need to do?" he anxiously asked his friend Ray Flynn, the
agent for many top American runners.

Flynn replied: "Hawi, just enjoy the moment."

"I wanted to make sure we strike while the iron's hot," Hawi recalled.
"When something like that happens, really the opportunities come to
you. You just got to do a good job of managing it."

The past year has been a busy one full of travel and speaking
engagements. Keflezighi conceded he was probably a bit behind in his
preparations compared with last year. But, Larsen said, his pupil is
close enough to again run his best.

"I'm healthy; I'm here," Keflezighi said. "That's what you can ask for
getting to the marathon."

"And if I don't win anymore," he added, "I'll be satisfied because
this is the race that I really wanted to win."
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This
material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.