[dehai-news] (GT) British Ambassador Hawkins highlights Qatar's efforts to resolve Djibouti/Eritrea conflict

From: B-Haile (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2010 - 00:26:26 EDT

"Hawkins highlighted Qatar's efforts to resolve the border dispute concerning Eritrea and Djibouti and the Middle East peace process."

Latest Update: Tuesday26/10/2010October, 2010, 01:23 AM Doha Time

UK hails Qatar's role as mediator

The United Kingdom has hailed Qatar's role as a mediator and facilitator in regional issues.

Speaking to Qatar New Agency, British Ambassador John Hawkins said: "We have a regular high-level dialogue with our friends here in Qatar on all regional issues and the UK government's view is that Qatar has played a very positive role in a number of different areas."

Referring to the Darfur talks he said: Over the last two years, we have actively supported and appreciated, many times in public, the very positive role Qatar has played under the co-ordination of HE the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Ahmad bin Abdullah al-Mahmoud and Bassole (the African Union-United Nations Chief Mediator Djibril Bassole)."

Hawkins highlighted Qatar's efforts to resolve the border dispute concerning Eritrea and Djibouti and the Middle East peace process.

"We have worked closely on Yemen issues in the two meetings in London and New York in January. We think Qatar has a very important role to play in relation to regional issues and we look to increasing and intensifying our dialogue in this respect," he said.

The envoy's views assume significance as HH the Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani and HH Sheikha Mozah Nasser al-Misnad embark on a three-day state visit to the UK at the invitation of Queen Elizabeth.

Qatar and UK have enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship in various fields.

"It is a priority relationship. We have seen an upsurge in high-level visits in recent years as well as an increase in bilateral trade and investment," the ambassador said.

"The opening of the South Hook Gas Import Terminal last year by HH the Emir and Her Majesty has added an import new link. Prime Minister David Cameron and UK ministers are committed to this relationship. They have made it clear that revitalising the connections with all our friends in the Gulf is a priority for the new government."

The UK is working to elevate its relations with the Gulf countries. Prior to the launch of the 'Gulf Co-operation Council Days in Europe Expo' last week, Foreign Secretary William Hague had said the British government was committed to elevating the UK's relationships with the countries of the Gulf.

Hawkins said: "We have a long established friendship, we believe we are now forging a renewed strategic partnership. We hope this visit will lead to strengthening of ties in business, education, science, culture and politics."

"Trade and investment is a two-way process," said Hawkins. "We value the increasing number of British companies investing in Qatar."

Regarding tourism initiatives between the two countries, Hawkins said: "We are keen to encourage people in Britain to visit Qatar and highlight the opportunities here and the different forums that take place here. It is important for us to see an increase in travellers to both countries. The challenge is people in Britain should know what Qatar has to offer. I think, Britain is increasingly aware of what Qatar has to offer. To this end Qatar Airways has done a great job of publicising Qatar as an attractive destination for a visit or to stop over when people are travelling elsewhere."

On the topic of the two countries bidding to host the FIFA World Cup, the British envoy said: "Both countries have very strong bids - England for 2018 and Qatar for 2022. Each has a lot to offer; UK has a strong football tradition, it has fantastic stadiums. Qatar has something completely different to offer; it will be the first World Cup ever in the Middle East region. I have talked to people from both the bids, I have obviously worked closely with the England bid team. Both bids are very strong, we know the competition will be tough and both teams will be working hard to achieve success."

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=394486&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16