[dehai-news] (New York Times) The Long Road to New York by Simon Bairu

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 09:27:37 EDT

http://marathon.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/the-long-road-to-new-york/?src=twrhp
October 18, 2010, 12:28 pm
The Long Road to New York
By SIMON BAIRU

Simon Bairu, 27, will make his marathon debut in New York on Nov. 7.
He won the 2005 and ‘06 N.C.A.A. cross-country titles at Wisconsin and
holds the Canadian record for 10,000 meters at 27 minutes 23.63
seconds. He ran 1:02:08 in finishing fifth in the Philadelphia
half-marathon in September.

On Nov. 7, I will run my first marathon. At 26.2 miles, it is a
journey that will not only take me through the five historic boroughs
of New York but also to the extreme limits of my mental and physical
capacity. My journey to New York has truly been one of improbable
odds. It has been a journey that has afforded me the opportunity to
compete in numerous countries and has led to many successes, including
two N.C.A.A. cross-country titles and the Canadian 10,000 meters
record.

Simon Bairu of Canada will run his first marathon Nov. 7 in New
York.My story is the accumulation of all that my parents had
sacrificed for me and my two siblings. My story is unique to my
perspective yet common in the fabric of my city, Regina, Saskatchewan,
a community of native Americans, blue collar workers, and immigrants
in Midwestern Canada. In order to understand my journey and what it is
that fuels my desire to compete in one of the world’s most prestigious
events, you must understand the almost 7,000-mile journey from Riyadh,
Saudi Arabia, where I was born to an Ethiopian mother and Eritrean
father, to Regina, Saskatchewan, where my family finally settled after
a brief stay in Athens when I was 4 years old.

My parents gave up dreams, hopes and aspirations all for the hope that
my siblings and I could have a chance at a better life. When our
family first arrived in Canada in 1988, there were times that seemed
bleak. Our home was robbed two weeks after our arrival, yet my mother
and father were determined to succeed for their kids. They were
determined to do whatever it would take to adjust to our new home
country, because they knew this was the place where my siblings and I
would have the best opportunity to succeed.
The saying goes that it takes a village to raise a child, and no
phrase better defines my career thus far. At the age of 14, after
getting in a fight after school, my eighth grade teacher, Steve Wihak,
decided the best punishment was to force me to join the local track
club. This wasn’t the first fight I had instigated and Mr. Wihak could
have easily suspended me. Instead, he saw a potential within me. He
believed in me. He didn’t see me as a troublemaker; he saw me as
someone who simply needed direction. He would often tell me later
that, at that time, I was a child with a lot of energy and I just
needed to channel my energy in a positive direction. Mr. Wihak
introduced me to my high school club coach, Dr. Steve Gersten. Dr
Gersten, a native of New York, saw something within me as well: he
believed in me at a time when I didn’t believe in myself. He wouldn’t
let me give up on myself. Dr. Gersten, along with my father, instilled
in me an unwavering confidence that has withstood the ups and downs of
my career. He provided me with the tools I needed to not only become a
better athlete but also a better person. With his guidance I was able
to get a full scholarship to the University of Wisconsin, where I
graduated with a bachelor’s degree in sociology in 2007.

Today, as I put in the final three weeks of preparation before the New
York City Marathon, I think about how incredibly fortunate I am to
have great training partners, family and friends who continue to
inspire me and humble me with their unwavering support. Ten years ago
I never thought I would be preparing for the marathon, let alone be
sponsored by Nike. My life has truly been an amazing journey.

This is my story, and on Nov. 7 as I stand on the start line, staring
down the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge with anticipation and adrenaline
flowing through my veins, I will remember that I do not stand alone. I
will be accompanied by all those who have helped me throughout my life
prepare for this moment. hope they can take pride and comfort in
knowing that their work, though often met with reluctance and
aggression by my young and destructive self, was not in vain. I will
stand there also thinking about my heroes, my rock, my parents. For
them the opportunity that I have to run the New York City Marathon is
a continuation of their journey, which started as nothing more than a
glimmer of hope so many years ago, 7,000 miles away.