[dehai-news] (IAAF) Zersenay Tadese receives the AIMS/Citizen World’s fastest time award for the Half Marathon

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 09:22:21 EDT

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=58559.html

Wednesday, 20 October 2010

 Zersenay Tadese receives the AIMS/Citizen World’s fastest time award
for the Half Marathon

Zersenay Tadese receiving the AIMS/Citizen World's Fastest Time Award
(Freelance)
Eritrean long-distance athlete Zersenay Tadese has been awarded the
prestigious AIMS/Citizen World’s Fastest Time Award in recognition of
his world-record-breaking performance during the Lisbon Half Marathon
earlier this year.

Zersenay’s time of 58:23 achieved on 21 March 2010 broke the previous
men’s half marathon world record, achieved by Olympic marathon
champion Sammy Wanjiru, by a clear ten seconds.

The AIMS/Citizen World’s Fastest Time Award is presented to any
athlete who breaks the existing marathon or half marathon world
record.

Tadese’s achievement is now officially recognised as the fastest time
ever recorded by a man over the half marathon distance by both the
Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS),
representing over 300 major road running events in 90 countries, and
the world governing body for athletics, IAAF (International
Association of Athletics Federations).

AIMS Board member Dave Cundy presented Zersenay with his special award
ahead of the recent IAAF World Half Marathon Championships in Nanning,
China.

AIMS President Hiroaki Chosa comments: “We are delighted to honour
Zersenay Tadese in breaking the world half marathon record and winning
the AIMS/Citizen World’s Fastest Time Award. Zersenay’s commitment to
distance running has enabled him to set new milestones in the
advancement of the sport. Our congratulations also go to the Lisbon
Half Marathon, an AIMS member race, who provided the conditions for
this achievement.”

Zersenay Tadese comments: “It is a very special moment for me and a
huge honour to receive this fantastic award. I would like to thank
AIMS and Citizen for their continued support and for recognising me
with this wonderful trophy. When I think about the great athletes who
have broken world distance records over the years and to now find
myself among them is a huge honour and I am very pleased to accept
this award.”