[dehai-news] Allheadlinenews.com: Somalia's Hizbul Islam: We Will Negotiate With Government, With A Condition

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2010 - 17:27:18 EDT

Somalia's Hizbul Islam: We Will Negotiate With Government, With A Condition

October 23, 2010 2:08 p.m. EST

Abdi Hajji Hussein - AHN News Correspondent

Mogadishu, Somalia (AHN) - Hizbul Islam, one of two insurgent groups in
southern Somalia, will open negotiations with the transitional federal
government of Somalia but with one condition, an official of the group said
Saturday.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/images/cp.gif

Sheikh Hassan Mahdi, a high-ranking official with Hizbul Islam, told a
Mogadishu radio station the group is ready to talk with the Somali
government only if African Union peacekeepers, known as AMISOM, leave the
country.

"We need to go to the negotiations table, we need reconciliation," Mahdi
told Simba radio. He vowed Hizbul Islam would continue fighting until AMISOM
leaves Somalia.

Hizbul Islam is the most powerful group in southern Somalia after the Al
Qaeda-inspired group Al Shabaab.

Critics say this condition by Hizbul Islam appears impossible to happen as
the existence of the Somali government depends on African Union
peacekeepers.

Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys is the leader of Hizbul Islam. The United States
has accused him of having links with Al Qaeda.

In April, the U.S. froze the assets of Aweys and other people accused of
being terrorists.

Read more:
<http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7020311485?Somalia%E2%80%99s%20Hizb
ul%20Islam:%20We%20Will%20Negotiate%20With%20Government,%20%20With%20A%20Con
dition#ixzz13DfwBoEb>
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7020311485?Somalia%E2%80%99s%20Hizbu
l%20Islam:%20We%20Will%20Negotiate%20With%20Government,%20%20With%20A%20Cond
ition#ixzz13DfwBoEb

image001.gif