[dehai-news] VOA: Nile River Dispute Heats Up

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 17:43:41 EDT

Nile River Dispute Heats Up

Peter Heinlein | Lake Tana, Ethiopia

Controversy is bubbling in Africa over who owns the rights to the waters of
the Nile River. From the river's source, our correspondent reports newly
assertive upstream nations are challenging treaties that grant most of the
Nile's flow to consumer countries Egypt and Sudan.

Some say the source of the Blue Nile is on Mt. Ghish, in the north Ethiopian
highlands, where many believe the waters have miraculous healing powers.
Others maintain the river begins at the mouth of nearby Lake Tana, sweeps
down deep gorges, crosses into Sudan and joins the White Nile, to complete a
6,000 kilometer journey through Egypt to the sea.

Ethiopia, one of the world's poorest nations, sees these waters as a key to
greater prosperity. A newly built hydroelectric plant promises to make it
an energy exporter. A nearly complete irrigation system could help Ethiopia
avoid the chronic food shortages that led to famines in recent years.

Farmer Yeshiwas Alemu says irrigation will end Ethiopia's dependence on the
increasingly unpredictable rains.

He says, "We have always been poor, so we must take this opportunity to use
the irrigation water. We should not give it away".

While 85 percent of the Nile's water comes from Ethiopia, Egypt and Sudan
say two colonial-era treaties give them rights to almost all the Nile's flow

Egypt's ambassador to Ethiopia, Tariq Ghuneim, says access to the Nile's
water is a matter of national survival.

"We depend on the Nile," said Tariq Ghuneim. "Period. Ninety five percent
of our water comes from the Nile river. Our brothers in the other Nile
basin countries have other sources."

But upstream nations say Egypt has had the lion's share of the Nile long
enough. Ethiopian water resources expert Imeru Tamrat says treaties Egypt
signed with Sudan and with colonial power Britain are invalid.

"Without consent of upstream countries they divided the whole flow of the
Nile among themselves," said Imeru Tamrat. "That is what they call their
historical rights. There is no concept of historical rights under the U.N.
convention."

Amid increasing demands from upstream countries for a larger share of the
water, nine Nile basin countries began talks in 1999. But after 11 years,
negotiations remain deadlocked over two words.

Egypt and Sudan insist any treaty must ensure their interests are not
'adversely affected'. Upstream countries argue that use of the term
'adversely affected' gives Egypt veto power over any project that would use
the river's water.

Teferra Beyene of Ethiopia's Water Ministry says upstream countries are only
willing to guarantee that such projects would not cause 'significant harm'.

"When you say 'adversely', it means you cannot use, you cannot touch the
water resources," said Teferra Beyene. "This is a shared resource, and when
you do certain things, you may cause certain harm, but that harm has to be
'not significant', balanced."

Five upstream nations signed a framework agreement last May that would give
them greater access to the water. It could go into effect as early as next
year. Egypt and Sudan stayed away from the signing ceremony.

Egypt's Ambassador Ghuneim cautions against any deal that fails to address
concerns of consumer countries.

"We have to work harder on trying to find a compromise that will in the end
serve all, because this will be a win-win situation for all the Nile basin
countries," he said. "But if we do not have this kind of agreement, we all
lose, and I do not believe any of the Nile basin countries want to see
this."

Lake Tana's calm waters mask the tensions below the surface. Aimero Kassa
farms the riverbank lowlands at the lake mouth. He says it is time upstream
nations challenge Egypt's and Sudan's Nile water monopoly.

He says "Egypt has used the river for many years".

Standing in his lush field, Kassa says he would be happy if dams are built
so Ethiopian farmers can use the water that now goes to Egypt.

He adds, 'They have to pray to their God."