[dehai-news] un.org: Secretary-General's remarks to the Security Council on Somalia

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 09:06:21 EDT

Secretary-General's remarks to the Security Council on Somalia

New York, 21 October 2010 -

Mr. President, Distinguished Members of the Council,Your Excellency Mr.
Yusuf Hassan Ibrahim, Foreign Minister of Somalia, Mr. [Ramtane] Lamamra,
African Union Commissioner for Peace and Security, Major General Nathan
Mugisha, Force Commander of AMISOM, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for the opportunity to address the Council on this pressing
challenge.

The situation in Somalia remains fragile, but there are glimmers of hope.

Notwithstanding recent internal divisions, the Transitional Federal
Government remains committed to peace and reconciliation. The President has
appointed a new Prime Minister, and I urge the Parliament of Somalia to
endorse him so as to allow a new government to come into place without
delay.

The Government is also developing its security sector institutions. It is
carrying out an offensive against the insurgents, and has taken over some
main cities previously occupied by the insurgents.

Reports of residents taking down the Al Shabab flags that had been flying in
the town of Belet Hawo, and hoisting the Somali national flag instead, are
signs of the Somali people's yearning for peace and security.

These actions - some concrete, others more symbolic, including the
resumption of broadcasting by Radio Mogadishu and the rehabilitation of some
key buildings - demonstrate the Government's resolve to meet those
aspirations, in partnership with the international community.

At the same time, the obstacles are well known.

Two million people need emergency aid, including 1.4 million who have been
displaced internally since 2007.

Continuing insecurity and conflict in parts of the country are attracting
foreign extremist elements. This poses a threat not only to Somalia, but to
the region, to the continent, and beyond. We have all seen what can happen
when terrorists and others take advantage of a country's fragility to
establish a haven.

Mr. President,

Support to the TFG - its reconciliation efforts and its fight against
extremism - will go a long way.

But the international community must act now if it is to make a difference.

The United Nations will continue to work towards achieving the political
objectives of the Djibouti peace process, in the following four key areas:

First, supporting the outreach and reconciliation efforts of the TFG with
those outside the peace process. To sustain these efforts, my Special
Representative, Augustine Mahiga, has been making regular visits to
Mogadishu and States in the region. Under his leadership, the United Nations
Political Office for Somalia [UNPOS] is encouraging dialogue with the
entities that renounce violence and are still out of the Djibouti political
process.

Second, supporting the TFG in completing the priority tasks outlined in the
Transitional Federal Charter, in particular consultations on the
Constitution. As recommended at the International Contact Group meeting in
Madrid on 27 September, the TFG has agreed to prepare a road map with a
prioritized comprehensive strategy, political objectives and timelines for
the remainder of the transition. UNPOS will facilitate this process.

Third, advancing implementation of agreements between the TFG and other
regional authorities. To be effective in ensuring that this process happens,
we are beefing up our political presence in "Puntland" and "Somaliland".

And fourth, developing functioning State institutions. In addition to
holding more meetings of the High-Level Committee and the Joint Security
Committee inside Somalia, UNPOS and the country team will focus on
strengthening the capacities of the various ministries.

In each of these areas, the United Nations will continue its "light
footprint" approach in order to be closer to the Somali people and
authorities.

We will also ensure that UN efforts are well coordinated, in line with my
policy of integrating UN operations. As I indicated in my most recent report
to the Security Council, in the coming months I intend to submit for your
consideration proposals for an integrated United Nations presence.

Mr. President,

I commend the African Union and AMISOM for their efforts in assisting the
TFG in its security and military efforts. The United Nations Support Office
for AMISOM has been providing critical logistic support to AMISOM, making it
a better equipped military force.

As you will hear shortly from Commissioner Lamamra, AMISOM's military
strategy aims to assist the TFG in establishing professional security sector
institutions; implementing its agreements with other groups and authorities;
creating humanitarian space and delivering basic services to the people.
This strategy fully supports and complements the overall political strategy
for Somalia.

However, to enable AMISOM to be an ever more effective partner, further
international help is needed. In my most recent report to the Council, I
expressed concern about the substantial resource gaps that continue to have
an adverse impact on the mission.

Extensive consultations have taken place aimed at resolving the lack of
predictable and sufficient funding, notably last month's informal meeting of
members of the Security Council, major donors and other partners jointly
convened by the Under-Secretaries-General for Political Affairs and Field
Support. Funding for AMISOM also featured prominently in statements
delivered at the mini-summit I convened during the General Debate, and again
during the recent Council mission to Africa.

Following these consultations, the report of the Chairperson of the
Commission of the African Union is now before you. The report calls for
significant additional support for AMISOM to be funded through the assessed
contributions of Member States of the United Nations.

I encourage the Council to take bold and courageous decisions necessary to
enhance the capacity of AMISOM to deliver more effectively on its mandate.

The Security Council may wish to consider phasing the additional support in
line with the phases outlined in Chairperson Ping's report. This approach
would allow for periodic review of the impact of the additional UN support.

My Special Representative is working closely with the AU and IGAD to ensure
coherence between their military strategy and the international community's
political objectives, as outlined in the Djibouti Agreement.

In return, I urge the Somali authorities to consolidate their efforts and
unite against the threat of extremism.

The TFG must also start to deliver improved services to the Somali people,
pay salaries to the security forces, and build up its security sector
institutions. The support of the international community is critical in this
regard.

Mr. President, Distinguished Members of the Council,

In a country that has been in conflict for two decades, peace requires
sustained efforts and a long-term strategy.

I pay tribute to all those contributing to that goal -- the African Union
Mission in Somalia, countries that have contributed troops, Somalia's
neighbours, and Member States that have shown great commitment in supporting
Somalia and the peace process.

Thank you very much.