[dehai-news] (NYDailyNews) VIDEO: .Meb Keflezighi on ice baths, Eminem & defending his NYC marathon title

From: B-Haile (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2010 - 16:01:50 EDT

September 24, 2010 4:56 PM

.Meb Keflezighi on ice baths, Eminem & defending his NYC marathon title

By Lauren Johnston

Video http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/running_dialogue/2010/09/meb-keflezighi-on-ice-baths-em.html

"Can you hear me? You're gonna do great on your first marathon."

Meb Keflezighi is a champion, and a cheerleader. He started tossing me pep talks, like that one, even during the sound check for a recent interview.

Keflezighi, 35, won the 2009 ING New York City Marathon with a time of 2:09:15 and was the first American to claim the title in 27 years. He's also got an Olympic silver medal under his belt from the 2004 Games.

Keflezighi returns to the 2010 marathon (his fourth NYC run) as defending champion, and among his competitors this year will be Ethiopian distance running legend Haile Gerselassie in his New York marathon debut.

You'd think he'd be feeling the pressure hold his title. Instead he's gearing up for the race by sharing his expertise with marathon newbies like Jared Fogle the "Subway guy."

"For me it's a little bit more relaxed because I was second and third the previous years. Now that I have [the win] under my belt, there's less personal pressure. In terms of everybody's eye, can I do it again? I hope I can. There will always be pressure, but it's going to be a little less because the monkey is off my shoulder because I've done it," he said.

Keflezighi, born in the African state of Eritrea, moved to California with his family when he was 12 after leaving their homeland as refugees. He was a standout runner by high school, and became a US citizen in 1998. He was sponsored by Nike the same year.

The elite running star answered some questions before he hit the streets for a Subway training run with Jared.

Running Dialogue: Do you feel different going into this marathon as defending champion? What's your mindset?

MEB: It's a great honor to be able to return as defending champion. I was always dreaming of winning New York, but to actually do it and return as defending champion means a lot to me. Is there more pressure? A little bit. But there's always going to be pressure. It's fun, either way. Nobody says you can't dream again or win it again but now it's like, 'OK, I'm just going to go out there and have fun. When I'm relaxed I do really well.

RD: Do you have a pre-race pep talk or a ritual to psych yourself up?

MEB: I listen to music. I have a lot of traditional and I also listen to Jay-Z. I also listen to Eminem's, "One shot, one opportunity you better go out and do the best."

RD: Haile Gebrselassie will run this year - does that change the field for you or up the ante?

MEB: Haile has always been a great inspiration and a great role model. He has lapped me in the past, but this is the marathon and I hope to give him a challenge and see what happens.

RD: I've seen some Internet buzz about him breaking two hours, what do you think?

MEB: I don't think he's going to break two hours. I'll be surprised if he breaks two hours, but he has said he wants to break the course record, so it will be fun to be able to challenge him and see what happens. He's human and anything can happen that day.

New York is ala about competition and I hope to do that like I've done in the past.

RD: Is there a mile that's your favorite and least favorite along the course?

MEB: For last year, the last mile was my favorite! Because I had won, and it was great to just take it in. The tough mile last year was probably holding back at First Avenue. You can push, but it can affect you later on in the race. So you have to plan ahead. I would tell anyone to just be patient on First Avenue. Don't push it until you hit mile 21 or 22. You don't want to run out of gas because it's going to be a long road in if you hit the wall. There is a wall there, but you don't want to hit it so early that it's a miserable experience. Have a little reserve and you can pick it up at the end. This is how the marthon teaches about patience.

RD: I've had to start doing ice baths after my long runs and they are horrible. Do they get easier? Any tips?

MEB: They do get easier, except the first 3 minutes is going to hurt. You definitely don't want to overdo it. Have a thermometer and stay in no more than 15 minutes. . Your nerves could be damaged if you stay in longer than 15 minutes. I usually listen to music or read my old testaments [during the ice bath]. It's bible time for me.

RD: I know you have young daughters. Are they into running, or do you hope they will be?

MEB: I have 3 daughters: 4.5, 2.5 and 8 months. Two of them are already racing each other and they're like, "Hey daddy we can run fast." They have the arm action and I say [to the oldest one], "Are you going to be a runner," and she says, "No, I'm going to play soccer." I just want them to be active and do some kind of sport, but if they choose to be running, they're going to get the best advice there is. This sport teaches you a lot about life and responsibility and discipline and hard work.

?

?http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/running_dialogue/2010/09/meb-keflezighi-on-ice-baths-em.html