[dehai-news] [Eri-International Sports] At The End "Victory" is Eritrea's.

From: Eri-International Sports Comments (michael.seium@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 14:17:56 EDT

 To quote the great song by legendary Tesfai Mehari "Awet Qalsina
Bdemna" The struggle to develop our nation be it in sports, education,
health, food security and diplomacy continues to be at the forefront of
the growing process our nation. A clear indication was when in a short
turn around the 5th ever CECAFA under 20 event was hosted for the first
time ever in Eritrea very successfully. All the way from the opening
ceremony until the very moment when the Ugandans took the big prize
away from Eritrea it was full of action and sportsmanship. At the end
of the event "Victory" is still Eritrea's.
Witnessing the finalists the Cranes of Uganda accepting their awards
during the ceremony one picture that can be a vivid reminder in the
memory of thousands of fans and television audiences was when the
youngsters from Uganda draped the ever beautiful Eritrean Flag around
them in show of their admiration for a nation that prides itself as
peaceful, friendly and one that works hard. The nation of Eritrea
showed it's "determination and sophistication" by hosting a successful
championship is how a leading East African news paper put it. While
many fans and Eritrean soccer enthusiasts feel that the Eritrean Red
Sea Camels should have put the game away during the regular time, the
most electrifying moment of the game came in extra time. Eritrea was
down 1-0 by a mistaken own goal and with the clock ticking away and
less than 30 seconds remaining the game the boys from Eritrea put the
ball in the back of the net sending the jam packed entire stadium into
an euphoria that has never been witnessed before. Then came the
dreading penalty kicks to decide who will be champions. It was Eritrea
4 and Uganda 5 as the Red Sea Camels exciting run came to an end.
Despite the loss on the field however Eritrea and it's people should be
proud of an accomplishment that was top notch. Once again Eritrea
proved that it is a nation to be reckoned with. It showed that it is an
oasis of hope, prosperity and development. The Eritrean spirit of can
do continues and the Red Sea Camels did not disappoint us either. On
the field and off the field Eritrea shined. Eri-International sports
will recommend ideas below and may be people can discuss it share it
and share their ideas on how best to help improve the national team or
any other ideas that can enhance future events that Eritrea will be
hosting.
Recommendations:
1. While we are proud of our under 20 team which will soon be our
national team why not get a couple of players from outside the country
that may be able to add some strength up front. One thing Eritrea
lacked was scoring and by adding a couple of forwards who have the
ability to perform at a high level, the Eritrean team can benefit even
more. I don't know what the Swedish national team has in store for the
great Eritrean scoring machine Henok Goitom but if they give him the
run around, I don't see why he can't play for Eritrea as he can have
dual citizenship. By adding Henok and a couple of the older players
from the adult team and using a nucleus of the under 20 team, Eritrea
can have a great opportunity to make it to the 2014 African nations cup
and qualifying round to the world cup as it has withdrew for the 2012
African nations cup.
2. While I am strongly aware of the manpower that requires to cover a
sporting event ERI-TV did a great job with what they have. Analysis of
games were excellent but update of scores would have fans all over the
world tuned in. Even a scroll with a little graphics would be helpful
at the end of each game. May be outsourcing the media coverage and
reaping the benefits via commercials and sponsors could be one way of
doing it. You can have ERI-TV lead the logistics so that it maintains
it's authentic Eritrean flavor.
3. I think an international tournament of Eritrean Diaspora from
Europe, Middle east, USA, Canada and Asia & Oceania countries can be
held in Eritrea. It can give an opportunity for players to show their
ability and in the process be selected to the national team if they
have what it takes.
4. The ENFF (Eritrean National Football Federation) must market itself
more. Eritrean national team jersey's would sell like a hot potato.
Other items that bring fans and the team together can also be ready
made for sale and the ENFF has to have copyrights and in the process
create an opportunity for regular income.

5. The Eritrean national team must continue to play friendly games.
Uganda and Kenya have travelled to Europe and other African nations to
play friendly and Eritrea has also proven that it can host games. Why
not have some top notch clubs from around the world come and play
against the national teams while also preparing games that can be
exciting between two top teams.
6. A training center must be built and until then, the Eritrean teams
(U-17, U-20, & the adult teams including women) should use the good
facilities of other friendly nations to train. Like the under 17 team
that went to Qatar three years ago to train and play the Qatari under
17 which our boys won 2-0.

As an avid follower of the game of soccer and a sports journalist for
many years who also happened to follow the Eritrean national team in
particular since it's first appearance in the CECAFA tournament in 1994
when coach Negash Teklit was a player, I have to say that it gives me
great pride to know that the future is bright for Eritrea. I am working
on a project that would be of interest to all Eritreans. We must
document and understand our past history in order to march forward and
let our new generation know that this country of ours has so much
history with the beautiful game of soccer. Congratulations to the
entire ENFF, ERI-TV, The Eritrean Government, CECAFA and Africa for a
great regional event that has brought Friendship and development, love
and togetherness to the entire region. I also would like to
congratulate the Eritrean national team for making us proud. It was
great to see you all get rewarded by the Eritrean President for your
efforts.
Eri-International sports will post an interview with Golgol Meberhatu
on our next blog. As most of you know Golgol plays for the Australian
A-League and he started his season with "God Coast United" against
the "Melbourne Victory" where his team lost 1-0 this weekend but the
great news is that Golgol got a lot of playing time in his first start
after an injury last year and also making the move to A-League from the
youth league. Meanwhile Henok Goitom's Almeria also started their La
liga season this past week. Henok did not see action but his team tied
their first game 0-0 against Osasuna. We shall follow the developments
throughout the season and keep you informed. After all is said and done
the "Victory is Eritrea's" so enjoy it cherish it and stay tuned.

For Eri-International Sports blog
Mike Seium

--
Posted By Eri-International Sports Comments to Eri-International Sports
at 8/31/2010 11:17:00 AM