[dehai-news] (New Vision, Uganda) Uganda Hippos in CECAFA cup final

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2010 - 08:00:15 EDT

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/30/730076
Uganda Hippos in CECAFA cup final
Thursday, 26th August, 2010 E-mail article Print article

By Swalley Kenyi
and Fred Kaweesi

CECAFA U-20 Championship
Semifinals
Uganda 2 Kenya 1
Eritrea 1 Rwanda 0
Final; tomorrow
Eritrea v Uganda
Third Place
Kenya v Rwanda

DANIEL Sserunkuuma notched the winner as Uganda Hippos kept their
focus to retain the CECAFA U-20 championship title with a 2-1 win over
Kenya at Asmara stadium, Eritrea yesterday.

In a show of confidence by the Kenyan side, Hippos, who were expected
to score more goals than they did, found themselves defending a slim
lead most of the second half. They play hosts Eritrea in the final
tomorrow.

Sadam Juma, who had to pass a late fitness test for the semifinal, put
the Hippos in the lead 15 minutes into the game with a powerful shot
at the edge of the box.

Joshua Tokomu, however capitalised on Hippos defensive laxity to level
with only a minute left to the break.

Hippos would have scored even more goals but coach Frank Anyau opted
for a defensive game.

�I told you I had a solution for them (Kenya). I�m happy I achieved my
target at this level,� an excited Anyau said after the victory
Eritrea, making the final for the first time, ejected Rwanda, who
qualified for the semifinals after Zanzibar was docked three points
for fielding over age players.

MEANWHILE Cranes midfielder Mike Sserumaga has been sighted at South
African club Mamelodi Sundowns.

The URA FC utility player sneaked out of the country on Monday for
trials with the South African giants. Cranes play Angola

Sserumaga left for Pretoria without informing any of his club or
Cranes bosses. Cranes play Angola on September 4.

�He is trying his luck at Sundowns and expects to return to the
country on Tuesday next week,� a source that preferred anonymity said
yesterday.

It is not the first time that Sserumaga has disappeared after being
called for national duty.

The 24-year-old�s three-year contract with Swedish side Helsingborg
was terminated for unprofessional conduct after he fractured an ankle
during a match with his childhood local club KB Lions.