[dehai-news] (New Times, Rwanda) U-17s battle Eritrea in last four

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2010 - 08:40:05 EDT

 http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=14363&article=3284

U-17s battle Eritrea in last four

U-17 Coach Richard Tardy has backed his youngsters to defy the odds.
(File Photo)
CECAFA U-20 Championship

Eritrea vs Rwanda (Today)
Uganda vs Kenya (Thursday)

RWANDA’S U-17 youngsters are bracing themselves for a very challenging
encounter with hosts Eritrea this afternoon. The Youngsters who are
playing in the CECAFA U-20 championship, have already exceeded
expectations after storming the last four following Friday’s 1-0 win
over Yemen.

But there is no doubt that Eritrea, who topped their group after
Monday’s 1-0 win over Kenya will be a huge test for the juniors who
are using the event as a build-up for next year’s Africa Junior
Championship, which will be hosted in Kigali.

Faustin Usengimana scored Rwanda’s winner against Yemen and team coach
Richard Tardy is hoping for more upsets from his lads.

“We came into the tournament skeptical about our performance but we
have given teams a run for their money,” the Frenchman bragged.

“Initially, I thought the boys would struggle to match the other sides
physically but I must say - they have faired well in that department
too. We are now in the semi-final and are going to give our all.”

Uganda, who topped the other group after Friday’s 3-1 mauling against
Zanzibar, play Kenya is the other semi-final contest tomorrow.

Uganda, who won all their three matches finished top with nine points,
Rwanda came second with four, guest side Yemen took third place after
managing three points while Zanzibar, who earlier in the tournament
had their 2-1 win over Yemen overturned for fielding an over-age
player finished bottom of the group with just one point.

The tournament sponsored by the Eritrean government will see the best
three teams bag cash prizes and medals.

“We are happy with the way the tournament is unfolding,” said Cecafa
Secretary General Nicholas Musonye.

Ends