[dehai-news] (Daily Nation, Kenya) Kenya twice surrender lead to draw

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 11:40:35 EDT

http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/football/Kenya%20twice%20surrender%20lead%20to%20draw%20/-/1102/980488/-/view/printVersion/-/7le4ofz/-/index.html
Kenya
twice surrender lead to draw
By GISHINGA NJOROGE gishinga@yahoo.com
Posted Wednesday, August 18 2010 at 18:25

 Kenya twice relinquished their lead to settle for a 2-2 draw with Sudan in
their first Group “B” match at the Cecafa Under-20 Championship on Tuesday
night in Asmara, Eritrea.

Jacob Keli put the Kenyans ahead in the 33rd minute before hesitant
defending enabled Mohamed Abdel’s slow lob to go over ‘keeper Caleb Otieno
in the 43rd minute and level for Sudan.

Second half substitute Raphael Muigai struck from a free-kick from the top
of the penalty box to give the Kenyans the lead again in the 85th minute.

But they surrendered the opportunity of victory when Nadir el-Tayeb barged
in to guide the ball home following a free-kick on the edge of the right
flank taken for Sudan by, incidentally, his brother Yasir Eltayib.

On the second of four minutes added time, the ball eluded all Kenyan
defenders to go past Otieno, amid protests that Nadir had aided it with a
slight touch of the arm. But the goal stood for a result of the third match
between the two countries in under four weeks.

It left an intriguing situation in the five-team group of which only two
teams will proceed to the semi-finals next Wednesday.

Kenya had beaten Sudan 2-0 in Khartoum and 1-0 in Nairobi during their
recent Africa 2011 Under-20 Championship qualifiers.

Before Tuesday’s game, Sudan had already drawn their first match, 0-0 with
Somalia, and were the side more desperate side for victory on the night.

Now they must beat Eritrea on Friday and Kenya on Monday to have any hopes
of going through.

For the Kenyans, victories over Somalia on Friday and Tanzania on Saturday
can keep them in the semi-final hunt before their do-or-die last fixture
with Eritrea on Monday.

“We now have the feel of the tournament and we shall do well in the
remaining fixtures. I see ourselves in the final,” said Kenya coach Vince
Ombiji.