[dehai-news] (Standard, kenya) Uganda dismiss Rwanda in Cecafa Group B thriller

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 15:49:47 EDT

 http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/InsidePage.php?id=2000016389&cid=38&j=&m=&d=
Uganda
dismiss Rwanda in Cecafa Group B thriller
*Updated 28 min(s) ago*
*Asmara, eritrea*

Defending champions Uganda put on a great show in beating neighbours Rwanda
3-1 in their Group B match of the Cecafa (Council of East and Central Africa
Football Associations) Under-20 tournament in Asmara, Eritrea on Monday
night.

All the Ugandan goals were scored by speedy winger Dan Sserunkuma.

The result was great for a side whose captain, Sadam Juma, says has come
here to play five matches and win all of them.

"As the defending champions, we have to prove our might by winning every
game, and that is what we have come to do. We are the future of Uganda
football," said the player.

Rwanda lost, but returned to their hotel with their shoulders high after
giving their opponents a run for their money especially in the second half.

Uganda went ahead in the 18th minute when they scrambled home from a
goalmouth melee. Sserunkuma was on the mark again in the 38th minute,
moments after he had been denied by an offside call.

Injury time

Rwanda captain Emery Bayisenge fired home an 85th minute free-kick as the
Rwandese dominated the final half. But Uganda soon sealed the match with a
Sserunkuma effort in injury time.

Rwanda are fielding an Under-17 side as part of their preparations towards
the Africa Under-17 Championship which they host in January.

Their French coach Richard Tardy was impressed by his side’s showing, noting
that it was beyond expectations.

"We came here with a very young side on a learning mission, and we hope to
have prepared a good side for the January event," he said.

"The boys have played only one international before and were clearly afraid
of the Ugandans, but when they composed themselves, they could play better,"
he told the post match press conference.

Best play

Frank Anyau, the Ugandan coach was emphatic they had come for nothing less
than retaining the trophy they won in Burundi three years ago.

"We are yet to put up our best play. This is just the beginning," he said

Teams: Rwanda: Marcel Nzarora, Michel Rusheshangoga, Rutanga Eric, Ndatimana
Robert, Bayisenge Emery, Songa Isaie, Habyalimana Innocent (Ndayishimiye
Celestin, 81st), Mico Justin, Usengimana Faustin, Umwungeri Patrick (Uwimana
Emmanuel, 71st min), Itagishaka Ibrahim (Sibomana Abdoul, 61st),

Uganda: Godwin Buule, Kisalita Ayub, Iguma Dennis (Andrew Waiswa, 75th),
Ntambi Kirizestom, Kakuba Alex, Dan Sserunkuma, Matovu Sula (Patrick Edema,
62nd), Ivan Bukenya, Sadam Juma, Michael Mutyaba (Brian Majegwa, 24th),
Kizito Lwanga.

Refereee: Samuel Lang’at (Kenya), first Ass: Michael Tesfagiorgis (Eritrea),
second ass: Josephat Bulali (Zanzibar), fourth official: Mohamed Nur
(Somalia), Match Comm: Mohamed Hassan (Somalia).