[dehai-news] Raimok

From: Tesfai Abraham (tesfaiabraham@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 09:56:17 EDT

Hi Dehai staff, Allow me to express my short opinion on the occasion of August 8, 2010, closing ceremony of our Festival Eritrea that was held in Asmara. Thanks, Tesfai Abraham Recognizing the greatest song (Raimok) A great song can be felt and recognized as something special when one hears it. Loking back, to August 8, 2010, during the prize award ceremony (Raimok), one event stood out uniquely; the monetary award ceremony for the top ten songs and singers. Without dwelling to much on the acrobatics, arrangements and the stage presence, I would like to focus on the top 3 songs, especially on Frehiwet’s Patriotic song Niked Trah. Even though all of them were patriotic songs, Niked Trah evoked an electrifying current through every Eritrean soul and evoked strong volcanic nationalism (Eritreanism) that erupted in the thick winter of 2010 in February in Washington D.C, Geneva, San Francisco, Melbourne, and everywhere in the world. The timing was right, the lyrics reflected the situation, it was melodic and rhythmic. The vocalist (singer) was amazingly talented. Niked Trah (Frehiwet) became part of our daily song to listen in our homes, cars and sometimes at our work. The factors that come into play with Frehiwet Berihu are her poise, mannerism, and appearance. She appeared at Fenkil to a live audience and to us, who watched her through the tube in the Diaspora and every where. One might say that, there are many things a judge needs to take into consideration when trying to pick a winner. The criteria for judging and the category used to evaluate and score might be done from professional analysis point of view. But for me and most of my friends Niked Trah (Frehiwet’s song) remains the #1 hit Winner of this year’s competition. In the future, I would suggest the judges inject public opinions and votes when they scale winners. I would like to thank TVERI for broadcasting the award ceremony LIVE for all important events, developments and serving us the truth about the horn of Africa and other news alike. Thanks to the participants of six zones (zobas) and coordinators who brought Eritrea in one compound (expo) to teach and exchange their culture, values…etc. My admiration goes to those who came with creative ideas in innovation of machineries, crafts, sculpture…etc. Finally, I would like to thank the festival staff, judges and to the young kid who gave outstanding lesson to us and the world at the closing ceremony. Awet N-Hafash Zelalemawe Z-kri N-Suwaatna T. Abraham